Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st January 2010, 03:54 PM
Friend

Default Mamiya 7 wide angle lenses

Hi everyone,
My main interest is landscape photography. I've got a Mamiya 7 with a 80mm lens. I'm planning to get a wide angle for it now and I'm in doubt between the 43mm and the 50mm.
The other option would be to get rid of my 80mm and get the 65mm only.
Any thoughts? Many thanks!

Last edited by kazer; 1st January 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 1st January 2010, 06:23 PM
Friend

I have been through this myself and I opted to keep my 80mm as I was using it a fair bit and I already had it. On the wide angle I ruled out the 65mm and 43mm and decided to for the 50mm. the 50mm equates to 25mm on a 35mm systems which I like. So far this has proved to be a good choice for me doing landscapes and the combination of the M7ii, 50mm + 80mm is easy and light to carry about for a 6x7 system. If I come across a location that needs something wider that the 50mm (not found one yet) I would go back some other time with a 17mm on a 35m camera. The 43mm equates to 21mm on a 35mm system which when you think about it these days is not that wide. So if I see a shot that needs an extreme wide angle approach I will do it on 35mm. The 50mm is also a good bit cheaper than the 43mm and more of them come up on the s/h market and it shares the same filters with the 80mm. Both lenses are fantastic performers.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 1st January 2010, 06:59 PM
Friend

Am I right in recollecting that the 43mm needs a auxiliary viewfinder?
Old 1st January 2010, 07:37 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
According to the system chart on the Mamiya web site so does the 50 mm. The Mamiya specification states "Automatic bright line selection (65mm, 80mm, 150mm)" so the longer lengths do too.

Bill
Old 1st January 2010, 09:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Indeed, the 43mm and the 50mm each use a separate viewfinder which comes with the lens. The 65 mm uses frames in the camera's viewfinder.
I have found the camera's viewfinder (if viewed to the edge beyond the 65mm frame lines) roughly equates to the view of the 50mm lens so when pushed for time to get the lens fitted I have occasionally used this method of viewing / framing to save time fitting the viewfinder.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:22 AM
Friend

I would not sell the 80mm it is a fantastic lens.
I've got all the lenses to 150mm and use the 80mm the most, followed by the 43mm and then the 150mm.
Rarely use the 50 or 65mm although they are both superb.
I like the 43-80 & 150 combination because their going up or down in roughly double length steps, it suits me best.
BTW the 50mm uses 67mm filters, I use 67mm filers on my lenses with 58/67 step up rings on the 65 & 80mm
JON.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:59 AM
Friend

Thanks Jon for pointing out my filter error. I can't think why I did that - got confused with something else I own probably !

The problem I think with choosing the right lenses is this really down to your requirements, which will probably not be the same as what someone else is using. All the Mamiya 7 lenses are superb performers so with this system you don't have to worry about quality. Ideally if funds permit have all of them ! However, I trained myself quite a while back to only buy a lens when I actually had a need for it rather than when I thought I had a need for it. So it may be a good idea to get out there and see how you get on with the 80mm and see where the need is coming from for a wide angle. Remember the 43 equates to a 21mm and the 50mm equates to a 25mm in the 35mm film format.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:27 PM
Friend

Many thanks for all your inputs.
I agree I should keep the 80mm, it covers a great deal of work.
Yes, choosing lens goes down to personal taste (and budget!).
I'm particularly fond of wide angles, so the 43mm has been in my mind for long. However, I can only afford one lens at the moment and I feel the 50mm would cover more scenes than the 43mm, which is more extreme and would be used in special occasions only.
Conclusion, I'll be getting a 50mm now and maybe I'll get the 43mm in the future.
Do you know what would be a good price for each of these lenses in the second hand market now? And a good place to find them?
Many thanks!
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:56 PM
Friend

Ffordes have some in stock.
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Indeed, the 43mm and the 50mm each use a separate viewfinder which comes with the lens. The 65 mm uses frames in the camera's viewfinder.
I have found the camera's viewfinder (if viewed to the edge beyond the 65mm frame lines) roughly equates to the view of the 50mm lens so when pushed for time to get the lens fitted I have occasionally used this method of viewing / framing to save time fitting the viewfinder.

Neil.
Is the 50 linked to the range finder. i.e. can you focus through normal viewfinder?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies