Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th July 2010, 10:36 PM
Friend

Default Durst 605m * e

Hi all
I've just won a Durst 605M enlarger on ebay!!Can i print both b/w and colour with this equipment?Also what else should i be looking out for???
Old 10th July 2010, 11:31 PM
Friend

Well done. I think the 605 can have a dichroic colour head or a B&W head which is primarily for B&W printing only. There should have been a photo of the enlarger on e-bay. If there was did it show a head with colour filters and three coloured knobs to use to dial in cyan, magenta and yellow filtration.

If there is no sign of these knobs then it will be one built primarily for B&W

If so, all is not lost as you can do colour printing by placing colour filters into the filter drawer that will be there. It's the same drawer that you use for B&W filters for multigrade paper.

The colour head can be used for B&W printing. You simply dial in the recommended yellow and magents filters according the paper manufacturer's for its particular paper.

If an instruction manual isn't included in the kit then PM me and I can photocopy my copy. Better still someone here might have the same manual and have scanning ability so it can be e-mailed as an attachment.

You'll need a lens if one isn't included. Tell us a bit more about what the kit includes and we can help more.

Mike
Old 11th July 2010, 07:25 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly View Post
Hi all
I've just won a Durst 605M enlarger on ebay!!Can i print both b/w and colour with this equipment?Also what else should i be looking out for???

Sounds exciting, as Mike said, tell us more.
Old 11th July 2010, 08:57 AM
Friend

I have a pdf version of the manual if you want it...
Old 11th July 2010, 01:20 PM
Friend

Default Durst

Hi guys thanks for the replies the description on the website says:-
DURST M605 COLOUR AND BLACK AND WHITE HIGH QUALITY ENLARGER, PLUS TIMER, LENS AND TRANSFORMER.
This is a great little enlarger which has produced many excellent results. It is very well designed and the build quality is excellent. It includes a Minolta 50 f2.8 lens, timer, and transformer - which are becoming hard to find. It also has a 50mm recessed lens plate which is also in demand.

It also has the colour dials on the front therefore to print b&w you would just zero these dials?

Hi Xpres i would to get a copy of your pdf. Just tell me how do you need my email address?

Thanks in Advance
Hilly
Old 11th July 2010, 02:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Hi guys thanks for the replies the description on the website says:-
DURST M605 COLOUR AND BLACK AND WHITE HIGH QUALITY ENLARGER, PLUS TIMER, LENS AND TRANSFORMER.
This is a great little enlarger which has produced many excellent results. It is very well designed and the build quality is excellent. It includes a Minolta 50 f2.8 lens, timer, and transformer - which are becoming hard to find. It also has a 50mm recessed lens plate which is also in demand.

It also has the colour dials on the front therefore to print b&w you would just zero these dials?

Hi Xpres i would to get a copy of your pdf. Just tell me how do you need my email address?

Thanks in Advance
Hilly
The printing paper's instructions will give you guide settings for the filtration dials.

You can send a Private Message (PM) to Xpres by clicking on his name and select the middle option from the drop down menu.
Old 11th July 2010, 04:53 PM
Friend

Quote:

Hilly

If you zero all the filters and use MG paper the default grade will be about grade 2. However unless this is the right grade for the neg and more importantly is the righr grade for the print as you want it to look then you dial in either Y or M on their own depending on the grade required or use a dual filtration of Y and M. The paper manufacturer's instructions will give both single and dual filtration guides.

There might be a lever on the side of the head which allows you to swing all the filters out of the way while you check focus etc. It is quicker than zeroing all the filters each time you want maximum light at max aperture for focussing.

Once you have read the pdf all will become clearer but if I may suggest it, I'd buy a good printing book such as Tim Rudman's. It is called The Photographer's Master Printing Course

Les McLean's Creative B&W Photography covers both film and printing and is another worthwhile book. The books largely complement each other so in my opinion it is a question of both rather than either or

There is no substitute for a good text book to cover the kind of ground that FADU could only cover adequately after you had posted a 100 questions and then waited for several hundred answers. You might not want to wait that long to start printing

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies