Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th November 2020, 08:46 PM
Friend

The lazy diaphragm problem John mentioned above is quite easily fixed. I had a 50mm f1.4 like that. I thought it was caused by oil on the aperture blades, but it’s actually more straightforward. There is a moving part associated with the aperture control that becomes stuck with dirt. You can access it quite easily from the back for cleaning. Putting it back together needs some patience, but the whole job took me about half an hour. There are instructions on the internet if anyone’s interested.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 2nd December 2020, 01:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Hi Martin, I have been using a 35mm f2.8 Zuiko lens on my OM1 for 40 years. At f4 it is a bit soft round the edges, but at f5.6 it is pin-sharp right into the corners.

Alan
Interesting Alan.

I have never understood peoples desire to shoot lenses wide or almost wide open.

All lenses improve for being stopped down at least 2 stops from their maximum.

When I was starting out, my photography lecturer always said that most 35mm lenses were at their sharpest at about f/8, bellow that size diffraction effects start to take their toll.

Martin
Old 2nd December 2020, 02:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
They say the 28mm F3.5 was to be avoided - well I never has a problem with it.
It's funny, isn't it.

My 28mm f/3.5 was the sharpest OM lens I owned.

In fact, I have two of them.

I mislaid my original for many years (that's what house moves do for you) and so bought a new one to replace it.

Some years later, I opened a box dragged out from under the stairs while I was looking for something else completely and there it was, together with the 85mm that I owned from when I was a student. I guess I had just slipped them in to a random box as we were packing and forgot where I had put them.

In the late 70's/very early 80's, AP or some such published a series of back to back lens tests on various manufacturers lenses at specific (common) focal lengths and the OM 28 f/3.5 came out as the winner by a country mile against the Cannon, Nikon and Pentax offerings.

The OM 28 f/3.5 they tested was reported to resolve about 120 l/mm compared to the others who were in the 70s~80s ball park.

From what I remember, at practically all other focal lengths, it was either a Cannon or Nikon offering that was the winner - but not by a clear margin, with the other makes taking turns for the placings.

Martin
Old 2nd December 2020, 04:49 PM
Friend

Default Same with other lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
It's funny, isn't it.

My 28mm f/3.5 was the sharpest OM lens I owned.

Martin
Slightly off topic but the Minolta 28mm F3.5MD lens had a bad reputation, but I have used one for years and it has always at least up to the others, performance wise.
Old 2nd December 2020, 08:57 PM
Friend

The 28mm f3.5 Zuiko is a fine lens. It’s on a par with the f2.8.
Here’s a page of Zuiko lens tests if anyone needs some bedtime reading.
http://zone-10.com/d1/node/148

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd December 2020, 01:53 PM
Friend

Quote:

In the late 70's/very early 80's, AP or some such published a series of back to back lens tests on various manufacturers lenses at specific (common) focal lengths and the OM 28 f/3.5 came out as the winner by a country mile against the Cannon, Nikon and Pentax offerings.

The OM 28 f/3.5 they tested was reported to resolve about 120 l/mm compared to the others who were in the 70s~80s ball park.

Martin
I'm not surprised to hear that it beat a Pentax 28. I owned the SMC-M 28/2.8 for a time and it was one of the most boring lenses I have ever owned. Not bad resolution, but the images had no depth, no life. I sold it and now use a Tokina RMC II 24/2.8, which is actually quite good. In the past I never gave much cred to third party lenses, until recently when I started experimenting with a few, and am finding out that there are some good ones out there (but a lot of cheap duds, too).
Old 5th December 2020, 11:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
In the past I never gave much cred to third party lenses, until recently when I started experimenting with a few, and am finding out that there are some good ones out there (but a lot of cheap duds, too).
I always steered clear of third party lenses because of the high level of duds.

I guess with the price of second hand lenses, you can buy a box of them and frisbee the ones you don't like.

Martin
Old 5th December 2020, 01:33 PM
Friend

Likewise Martin. But there are some good user review sites out there which really help find the gems among the rocks. Pentaxforums is the one I use the most - very helpful. In the past two years I've picked up three third-party lenses for PK mount, all of them very good to excellent.
Old 5th December 2020, 04:05 PM
Friend

Default Not a Dud

Quote:
I always steered clear of third party lenses because of the high level of duds.

I guess with the price of second hand lenses, you can buy a box of them and frisbee the ones you don't like.

Martin
I bought a Vivitar F2.8 28/90 Series 1 lens to fit Minolta MD and this lens performance has to be seen to be believed. A 12x16 is a breeze with that lens. I originally wanted a Minolta MD28/85 which is much lighter but this optic is as good as the Minolta and was about half the price.

The only thing lacking is an efficient lens hood. Apparently they never made one, and with a 67mm filter ring, alternatives are hard to find.

The only one I think would fit and work would be from a Mamiya 45mm intended for a 645 camera, but they are a tad scarce
Old 5th December 2020, 04:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Just as well it wasn’t one letter less😂
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You are probably thinking of an endoscope.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies