Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th January 2012, 09:21 PM
Friend

Unhappy Kodak Film should I stock up just in case.

With all the chitter chatter on the net about Kodak going bust should I be concerned that all Kodak camera film will be lost forever? Should I stock up?

Last edited by GoodOldNorm; 5th January 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
With all the chitter chatter on the net about Kodak going bust should I be concerned that all Kodak camera film will be lost forever? Should I stock up?
Just switch to fuji. They are in it to the death.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:55 PM
Friend

Yes it is worrying but if I understand company law in the U.S. including what they call Chapter 11, it may be several stages and several months away from anything irrevocable.

In other words could things suddenly stop and become frozen overnight with padlocks on the factory gates as appeared to be the case with Ilford in 2004, I think it was?

The answer is No, as I understand it.

Mike
Old 6th January 2012, 01:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
Just switch to fuji. They are in it to the death.
Nothing about film is for sure this days.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:02 AM
Friend

You know I have been pondering the same thing for the past couple of days. I do really love Kodak film, and their chemicals too (let us not forget that!) but having gone back through some contacts I've made with different films and developers I reckon I could work around it . . . but I still wouldn't like it.
For all the bad rap it has had over the years, TMX 100 is still an extraordinary film . . .and Tri-X . . .well what can you say! However Adox in Rodinal looks great, as does FP4 in HC 110 (b*****r . . .that's Kodak )
Phil
Old 6th January 2012, 08:08 AM
Friend

Chapter 11 provides protection from creditors for a year, and is designed to give a company time to rearrange it's finances so that it can return to profitability. Kodak could be a profitable company again if it is allowed to downsize quickly just as Harman was forced to do. Whether film production is profitable enough to retain remains to be seen. Apart from all that I imagine that anyone "stocking up" add to the chances of film productions survival; using more film would be of more help though.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:14 AM
Friend

Stocking up makes bugger all difference. A company in it for the long term wants a steady income stream. All stocking up does is create a false peak in sales followed by a trough unless you actually increase your consumption of film.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:26 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by timor View Post
Nothing about film is for sure this days.
I think that film sales in Japan are still strong compared to everywhere else. Fuji will be the last big player (doing colour) to go.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
Stocking up makes bugger all difference. A company in it for the long term wants a steady income stream. All stocking up does is create a false peak in sales followed by a trough unless you actually increase your consumption of film.
Quite right, but I'm sure Kodak would be happy to have a "false peak" in film sales and orders right now. I believe a healthy order book is one of the factors the US court will consider when deciding to grant Chapter 11 protection. Perhaps our American Friends can clarify that point.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:32 AM
Friend

I believe Kodak chemistry would still be around whatever happens as it is now owned by Champion photochemistry, who own the Rochester plants, and I think would continue to manufacture the stuff, even under a different name, but a world without Trix, my all time favorite film.?, almost unthinkable, but maybe someone else will take on the Kodak film brand and downsize the manufactring base to suit todays market, there is still a market for great film, it is just not what it was, so we shall all have to wait and see, and in the meantime if you like Kodak film continue to purchase and use it,
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies