Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th May 2015, 11:05 AM
Friend

Dave,
with regards to QC on Foma I personally have yet to encounter any problems in over 8 years of using it in both MF and 35mm, it is, in my personal experiance with it, a bit of a myth that quality control is lacking, and Ilford also do 24 exposure rolls, I would rather use a 24 exposure roll than roll my own
Richard
Old 7th May 2015, 11:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Just a thought If you have only used part of the film, whats to stop you taking the camera into the darkroom open the back and cut the film and remove what you have exposed and then re-thread what is left? You will loose frames but will that not happen if you use a bulk loader.
The Xpan winds the entire roll over to the take-up spool, then shoots it in reverse of the normal order, winding the exposed frames back into the cassette. So to do what you suggest I'd have to cut the film, pull the exposed frames out of the cassette and remove them, then reattach the other half of the roll to the cassette spindle then manually wind it back into the cassette. Would work ok with a normal camera but be a bit of a ballache with mine.

Similarly there's a few tricks I could do with mid-roll rewinds, leave the leader out and remember what frame you shot up to last time etc etc, but all prone to cockups when trying to do it in extremis in the field. I have done it before though with a roll of slide film to switch it between two cameras.
Old 8th May 2015, 11:38 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
The Xpan winds the entire roll over to the take-up spool, then shoots it in reverse of the normal order, winding the exposed frames back into the cassette. So to do what you suggest I'd have to cut the film, pull the exposed frames out of the cassette and remove them, then reattach the other half of the roll to the cassette spindle then manually wind it back into the cassette. Would work ok with a normal camera but be a bit of a ballache with mine.

Similarly there's a few tricks I could do with mid-roll rewinds, leave the leader out and remember what frame you shot up to last time etc etc, but all prone to cockups when trying to do it in extremis in the field. I have done it before though with a roll of slide film to switch it between two cameras.
Did not know that Dave. it certainly explains why a bulk loader would be the answer. Trust the Xpan to go against the grain

At one time you could buy cut length of Ilford to roll yourself which I used to use if I did not need 36 exposures.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 8th May 2015, 03:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post

At one time you could buy cut length of Ilford to roll yourself which I used to use if I did not need 36 exposures.
Are you referring to the two lengths of bulk rolls which you can still buy or was there once something else in the way of cut lengths?

Mike
Old 8th May 2015, 08:06 PM
Friend

I remember those, I used them, you could buy reloads, 36 exposure lengths of film, meant to be used in the cassette, this was when the cassettes supplied by the film makers were made in a way that the tops could be removed without destroying the whole thing, in the darkroom you would stick the end of the roll to the center colum, and reuse the whole thing, IIRC Kodak as well as Ilford made them at around half the price of the complete thing, these days, with the modern cassettes, it wouldn't work, shame,but thats progress I suppose
Richard
Old 8th May 2015, 10:43 PM
Friend

Richard I had no idea that such lengths existed but it makes complete sense of what Mitch said.

Thanks

Mike
Old 9th May 2015, 08:55 PM
Friend

http://www.ishupatel.com/bresson.html

See text about half way down.
Old 9th May 2015, 09:08 PM
Friend

If it's good enough for HCB.....
Old 13th May 2015, 02:57 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I have used bulk film and rolled my own since the sixties. I first used a small loader that only took 5m bulk film. Later I made my own wooden jig (I still have it), used the winding handle from the original loader and counted the turns (Printed on the old bulk loader) for the length of the loaded film from 30m bulk film.

I re-used cassettes and still occasionally use ones that date from when they were not crimped closed. I haven't had major problems from scratched films or dust - not sufficient to put me off. The one problem I have had is light leak through the trap at on the first exposures. Presumably this was due to wearing of the felt exacerbated by films getting thinner since the sixties. I avoid loading film into the camera in bright light)

The film getting thinner also makes the old turns count for a given number of exposures on the loaded film invalid. I found this out recently when I used the method with one of my current loaders where the counter was not working.

The loaders I use are: the A-P Bobinquick 135 Junior loader and another exactly the same with 'Konica' on it. Both these have a light trap to the bulk film that opens when you put the winding handle in after inserting the cassette. I generally use (and re-use) plastic openable cassettes.

Oh, for the old Leica cassettes - N cassettes (I always thought they were Z cassettes until I read something about them recently) - that are opened/closed by the locking key on base plate of the camera. They were solid - painted brass.
Mike
Old 13th May 2015, 04:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Are you referring to the two lengths of bulk rolls which you can still buy or was there once something else in the way of cut lengths?

Mike
These were lengths of film about 36 frames long. basically a roll of film without the spool. Came in special light tight canisters, the film inside was wrapped in light proof paper.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.

Tags
35mm, bulk, loading, roll
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies