Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd May 2017, 11:14 PM
Friend

Default Darkroom Tutoring

Hi All,

Just reaching out to see if there is any possibility to get some home darkroom tutoring in the Preston/Chorley area ?

I have a darkroom pretty much setup with a DeVere 504, Leitz Focomat, Jobo and Patterson drums, sink, Nova washers etcetc.

Only one small problem. I don't really know how to use any of it.

It would be great to tap into the knowledge on FADU and i could pick up drop off etc if anyone fancies the challenge. I have a small budget for payment too.

I've got myself in slightly tricky spot by promising a client traditional prints but am unable to print them !

Any help is greatly appreciated as i've gone as a far as i can with the books. Really want to learn but it's a little challenging finding that person who can look over my shoulder if that makes sense ?

Anyways just thought i'd try.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:17 AM
Friend

I'm happy to put myself forward if no one else who lives closer cannot help. I know that I'm at least 2 hours travel away. it also depends on your time frame?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:25 AM
Friend

Simon, I think there are several of us who live in your area in the broadest sense of the word area who might be able to help. I am just too far away in the S Midlands unfortunately but I note you have one offer already. That's what I like about this site, we have members who are willing to put their money where their mouth is, so to speak.

Mike
Old 23rd May 2017, 04:38 PM
Friend

Not FADU but my tutor at college - John Kiely - runs courses in Mossley. He's good, plenty of experience and a great bloke to boot.

https://www.engine-room.org/contact

Tony
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:00 PM
Friend

Great, thanks for the replies gents.

Mitch i couldn't possible drag you over two hrs out of your way. i'd feel awful. Hopefully a solution pops up. Just been in the 'darkroom' and spent a couple of hrs with the manuals again. Maybe i should just have go eh ?

Bit daunting.
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:11 PM
Friend

You should get a pack of Ilford MG IV resin coated paper, some Ilford Multigrade developer, some stop bath and fixer, and get going. Place a negative in the holder in the enlarger, shiny side up, raise the head to get the size you want and focus. You need a 50mm lens for 35mm and an 80mm for 6x4.5 or 6x6 negs. Don't worry about contrast filters yet. Make a test strip by putting your paper in place on the easel or baseboard (room lights out!!), and making a series of exposures such as 5, 10, 15 etc seconds. Develop, stop and fix. See which strip looks best and expose a whole sheet for that time. Wash RC paper for 2 mins in running water and leave to dry. I put my prints into a basin of water after the fixer and wash them all at the end of a session. Once you've tried the basic procedure you can move on to more advanced techniques. The chemicals come with dilution instructons on the packaging, and for B&W you work at 20c.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24th May 2017, 11:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssharp View Post
Great, thanks for the replies gents.

Mitch i couldn't possible drag you over two hrs out of your way. i'd feel awful. Hopefully a solution pops up. Just been in the 'darkroom' and spent a couple of hrs with the manuals again. Maybe i should just have go eh ?

Bit daunting.
I was at this point many moons ago where I had read everything I could find on making prints and reread it and so on. The only way to know what you have read works or not is to get your hands dirty. You may find the actual doing is a lot simpler than what the books suggest. If you are not sure that you will remember it all in the right sequence make a list. We all have made lots of mistakes to begin with and my case still do but you will learn more by making them than if everything is perfect first time out. It is not the end of the world just paper.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 24th May 2017, 01:55 PM
Friend

It occurred to me after posting last night that the De Vere enlarger controls may need explanation. I've used them, but don't own one, so I'm not an expert. The basics, however, for the bench type are that you operate a lever on the side of the head to remove, or lock in the negative carrier. The carrier should have inserts for the size of negative you want to use. There are two controls on the front of the baseboard which control enlargement and focus. These are locked by the corresponding knobs at the back of the base.
If the Leitz Focomat is white, it's a V35. It is easy to use. The large knob on the side of the casing is loosened to raise the head. Two black levers either side of the negative carrier allow removal, or locking of the carrier. You can twist the lens mount to focus until you figure out autofocus. The timer goes between the enlarger and the wall socket. As Mitch says, the way forward is to give it all a try, and ask for help here as you go along.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24th May 2017, 05:32 PM
Friend

If you're prepared to travel 115 miles/2¼ hrs I could help you. I use a De Vere 5108 but it's essentially similar to a 504 just larger format, the controls are the same.

Ian

Tags
darkroom, equipment, teaching, tips
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies