Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th November 2012, 10:34 AM
Friend

Default Print washers

I'm looking into making my own multi slot paper washer.
My question is to all who use this style of paper washer no matter who the maker is. I would like to know what the distance between the slots are. I have a single sheet washer from nova that has a 12mm gap are the multi slot ones the same.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 8th November 2012, 10:48 AM
Friend

Mitch,

I have 2 washers: one for 50x60cm and one for 40x50cm and both have gaps about 12 mm.

Hope this helps!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 8th November 2012, 11:17 AM
Friend

I have a Nova 5 slot washer and the distance between the slots is
17mm .

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 8th November 2012, 11:58 AM
Friend

I have a Nove 13 slot 20X16 inch washer, 15mm slots.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:32 PM
Friend

Thank you for the responces so far.

The more people that responed will help me refine the over all size. My plan is to make a multi slot washer.

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:54 PM
Friend

Mitch I use a Silverprint 12" x 16" 6 slot, distance = 15mm.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 8th November 2012, 02:26 PM
Friend

Hi there,

the width of the slots is not critical. Far more important is the flow of the water, that all of the print gets washed, that you can 'dump' the water easily during the washing sequence, etc. Achieving this is not that easy. You also need to choose your construction materials with care due to the high pressure created by so much water.

Whatever you choose to do, there is no better way to proceed than first reading Martin Read of Silverprint's exhaustive investigation of the washing process:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...=washer+martin

Personally, unless you particularly like undertaking DIY projects and, having read Martin's article, are willing to go through several versions, I would not bother making one but rather buy a Silverprint Archival Washer.

I have had mine for many years and a completely satisfied with an expensive but thoroughly worthwhile investment. I just put it on, check the flow rate and leave the washer to do it's job.

Best,

David
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 8th November 2012, 10:30 PM
Friend

I have a Summitek slot washer (no longer made) in which the dividers are 3mm thick and at 16mm spacing, so there's 13mm space in the slots.

The dividers are textured on both sides making it easier to insert large prints.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallen View Post
Hi there,

the width of the slots is not critical. Far more important is the flow of the water, that all of the print gets washed, that you can 'dump' the water easily during the washing sequence, etc. Achieving this is not that easy. You also need to choose your construction materials with care due to the high pressure created by so much water.

Whatever you choose to do, there is no better way to proceed than first reading Martin Read of Silverprint's exhaustive investigation of the washing process:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...=washer+martin

Personally, unless you particularly like undertaking DIY projects and, having read Martin's article, are willing to go through several versions, I would not bother making one but rather buy a Silverprint Archival Washer.

I have had mine for many years and a completely satisfied with an expensive but thoroughly worthwhile investment. I just put it on, check the flow rate and leave the washer to do it's job.

Best,

David
www.dsallen.de
Thank you for the pointer I will read Martins articale. I understand that the width is not critcal but there need to be a starting point.

Old 11th November 2012, 11:58 AM
Friend

I have now read Martins article. Basicly when it come to washing your prints less in more. narrower slots with textured sides are more effective than large ones but they need to be a certain size so the paper does not stick to the sides and allows easy access.

I think I will still build my own washers but not what I had orginal thought of. this because Martins article has show me that what I do at present meet a good standard I just need to be able to wash more prints at once.

Thank you to everyone who posted.

Tags
paper, slottie, washer
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies