Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th February 2021, 08:46 PM
Friend

Default holes in my bellows

I have a couple of bellows that I cheeked with a torch and it was like Blackpool illuminations ,one is a bag type and one standard type ,the bag bellows I used black acrylic paint two coats the whole of the inside and with the other bellows I used liquid tape on all the corners inside two coats. both are doing well and I will keep an eye open and see how long they last .what other ways do you repair holes in your bellows ..
Old 28th February 2021, 09:42 PM
Friend

Not sure if it is still sold, but I have used a spot of Black Bostik in the past. Just like the Clear Evo Stick but black.

Cheers.
Old 1st March 2021, 12:02 AM
Friend

The ultimate bellows repair material is 3M type 850 black polyester tape: very thin, very black, with a strong non-bleed. non-creep adhesive. Ideally all bellows should be made of this stuff. Expensive.
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 1st March 2021, 07:20 AM
Friend

I have used the same as you Big Paul, Liquid tape. Most recently on my 1/2 plate camera my wife bought me for Christmas.
Old 1st March 2021, 08:24 AM
Friend

Like you Paul I have used black artists acrylic paint for pinholes in small camera bellows, mainly on a couple of Agfa,s with pinholes this was around 3 years ago and so far still light tight
Richard
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris View Post
The ultimate bellows repair material is 3M type 850 black polyester tape: very thin, very black, with a strong non-bleed. non-creep adhesive. Ideally all bellows should be made of this stuff. Expensive.
This is a great tip -- thanks Maris. I will file this one away for future reference.
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I have a couple of bellows that I cheeked with a torch and it was like Blackpool illuminations ,one is a bag type and one standard type ,the bag bellows I used black acrylic paint two coats the whole of the inside and with the other bellows I used liquid tape on all the corners inside two coats. both are doing well and I will keep an eye open and see how long they last .what other ways do you repair holes in your bellows ..
Paul, does Sandeha Lynch still make bellows? Isn't he a member here as well? I recall he was doing some standard models for common cameras (Isolette, Record, etc.) and custom stuff as well. SLBellows I think was the name of his little business. Worth a look, and maybe better over the long run to have a permanent fix for a valuable camera than patching with paint.

Edit: here is his web page... http://www.sandehalynch.com/camerawork/bellows.php

Last edited by Svend; 3rd March 2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:02 PM
Friend

Svend thanks for the heads up on that ,I will have to get new bellows sooner or later and will keep them in mind .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 3rd March 2021, 03:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
I don't need any bellows at present, but if I did, I'd definitely get a snazzy set in one of those colours shown. Beautiful!

Terry S
Old 3rd March 2021, 04:28 PM
Friend

Terry, Paul -- I really like the coloured ones. Did you scroll down his page to the large format cameras? Nice! I had an Isolette with a red bellows, and still have a Record with a bright blue one -- they are sure eye-catching. Sharp look!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies