Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th January 2014, 10:03 AM
Friend

Default "Teen hipsters discover joys of analog photography"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-200...home_multiline

Something that annoys me when people bring up the subject of film photography is this:

Quote:
"Digital photography allows for no mistakes by the camera," Shaw says. "The picture is flawless, and you are the only one to blame for its apparent ugliness. But with film, you never really know what's going to happen. It's a surprise every time you develop and print your film. Sometimes there can be weird color granulations, random light splotches or double exposures."
It's not at all a surprise every time you develop your film. If you're getting weird colour granulations, random light splotches and double exposures, you're not doing it right.

If I get a surprise every time I developed my film, then I would rethink my processes and try and work on becoming consistent.

If I get a surprise when I develop my film, I'm surprised.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
"Digital photography allows for no mistakes by the camera," Shaw says. "The picture is flawless, and you are the only one to blame for its apparent ugliness"
What a load of [expletives deleted]. Dust, flare, chromatic aberrations, lens distortions, are all defects (not just in the digital world). Digital also suffers from noise, sampling errors, dead pixels, and software bugs. Finally, there is the subject matter, composition, and framing.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:24 AM
Friend

Good for them.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:51 AM
Friend

and good luck to the schools and colleges for promoting film photography ,at lest we know that we are hip and with-it man
groooooooooovy...

www.essexcockney.com
Old 10th January 2014, 12:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-200...home_multiline

It's not at all a surprise every time you develop your film. If you're getting weird colour granulations, random light splotches and double exposures, you're not doing it right.

If I get a surprise every time I developed my film, then I would rethink my processes and try and work on becoming consistent.

Now Alastair just sit down take a long slug of your favorite beverage and realise that not every "expert" is privaledged with that valuable thing called common sense.
Old 10th January 2014, 05:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriktheviking View Post
Now Alastair just sit down take a long slug of your favorite beverage and realise that not every "expert" is privaledged with that valuable thing called common sense.
True, Erik but what's worse is that some who are so privileged decide to abandon it for cheap, cynical journalistic lines

Mike
Old 10th January 2014, 07:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

This. Right here.

I'm sick to death of the whole "Film is lo-fi! Film is unpredictable! Film is ART!" thing. It does the true quality of film a terrible disservice and causes some people to mistakenly believe that their photographs are all great just because they were shot using film (oh, if it were only so easy... )
Old 10th January 2014, 11:26 PM
Friend

Give them a brake guys. Don't you agree that the first rolls of film you developed were 'unpredictable'.

Last edited by Miha; 10th January 2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11th January 2014, 12:01 AM
Friend

"Digital photography allows for no mistakes by the camera," Shaw says. "The picture is flawless, and you are the only one to blame for its apparent ugliness. But with film, you never really know what's going to happen. It's a surprise every time you develop and print your film. Sometimes there can be weird color granulations, random light splotches or double exposures."

So if you use film, there's a good chance you'll end up with some kind of fault? And these faults are good things?

Did you say this is from an article promoting film use?
Old 11th January 2014, 07:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Give them a brake guys. Don't you agree that the first rolls of film you developed were 'unpredictable'.
The first film I developed was totally opaque. I was using a Paterson developer that should have been mixed 1:9. I mixed 9 parts of developer with 1 part of water . I remember thinking "bloody hell this could get expensive". . That was nearly 40 years ago.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies