Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th February 2018, 10:03 AM
Friend

Default Chroma nylon 5x4 kickstarter

How rigid do you think this will be and how much wear and tear do you think it will take? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...hroma%20camera
Old 13th February 2018, 01:12 PM
Friend

Another 5 x 4 camera to add to the list of others making them and it's great to see that various coloured cameras and bellows are being offered along side the usual wood and black metal.

I can't see me buying one in the near future but I wish him well with his venture which is now at about twice the revenue that he needed to get started.

Terry S
Old 13th February 2018, 05:29 PM
Friend

Maybe LF really is growing in popularity. I don't see so many good film holders (DDS's) for sale these days. Maybe I need to increase my stock.
Also, a lot of good 5x4 enlargers seemed to go to the dump over the last couple of years- no takers even cheap, and difficult to post (although someone did send my LPL to Stornoway!) What a shame, as they're most unlikely to be remanufactured ever.
Old 13th February 2018, 05:42 PM
Friend

Its the laser cut from Acrylic that doesn't sound too clever.

Acrylic is brittle when dropped - so it shatters - which isn't clever for the working parts of a camera.

Who ever is designing the camera doesn't know much about materials engineering.

I won't be investing.

Martin
Old 13th February 2018, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Acrlyic is also rather flexy which you really do not want on LF camera standards with the bellows acting as a sail in any wind, and I'm not sure about all those magnets. Also a bit concerned that he did not demonstrate the camera in use in the video but then, that looks like an early prototype as the photos show more complex front and rear standards than the camera in the video has. He seems to be familiar with LF cameras however and the construction looks quite beefy.

At 250 beer tokens for the cheapest option, it is tempting for a punt, but I already have two 4x5s which don't get enough use, so...

Hey ho - the more cameras out there the better, so good luck to him.

I suspect the vast majority of people new to LF now will be scanning the negatives so the sad loss of so many LF enlargers may not impact sales too much.

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited by Bob; 13th February 2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 14th February 2018, 10:47 AM
Friend

I have both a basic homemade (but not by me) wooden 5 x 4 camera and a standard lens AND a 5 x 4 enlarger and lens, which I got on ebay for a very good price, as I picked it up. Oh, and I have a 5 x 4 pinhole camera as well.

I've done some paper negatives in both, which has been fun, but sometime this year(!) I intend taking them both out for a run or two. I also have a 10 x 8 pinhole that I've bought some x-ray film for, so that's something else I'm looking forward at trying. It may be an interesting year for me after all.

Terry S
Old 14th February 2018, 04:54 PM
Friend

Terry - where did you get your X-ray film from? I would like to play with some X-ray film in the larger formats.....
Old 15th February 2018, 12:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Terry - where did you get your X-ray film from? I would like to play with some X-ray film in the larger formats.....
I bought mine off of Ebay UK and just choose the cheapest!

I bought from the US somewhere and even with carriage, I felt it very good value, especially when compared to 10 x 8 HP5 for example.

I haven't used it yet, but will once the sunnier weather comes in, so plenty of time to read up on it. The biggest deal about it, is that is coated both sides with emulsion, so twice as likely for scratches etc. Some You Tube videos recommend removing one sides emulsion after processing, using household bleach; why I'm not too sure. But, I think a lot of it will be down to individual experimenting to see what works best for each person.

Good luck!

Terry S
Old 16th February 2018, 09:09 PM
Friend

Thanks for the info, there's a thread on the large format forum about using X - ray film. Lots of lovely examples and some very useful discussion.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies