Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th January 2014, 10:33 AM
Friend

Here are more kids using film, this time at Leeds Metropolitan Uni.

http://www.theonlinedarkroom.com/201...ea-camera.html

Great to see!
Old 11th January 2014, 04:38 PM
Friend

Forgot to add that they were using a DIY 10x8 camera made with Ikea shelving...
Old 11th January 2014, 05:13 PM
Friend

It may be a crass, ignorant and inaccurate thing to say, but getting people away from the absurd idea that new technology should automatically replace what has gone before is good.
Old 11th January 2014, 05:27 PM
Friend

Lovely seeing people enjoy themselves with film.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 12th January 2014, 11:07 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
It may be a crass, ignorant and inaccurate thing to say, but getting people away from the absurd idea that new technology should automatically replace what has gone before is good.
I must be pretty crass and ignorant as well then, David. I never used to think of myself as a Luddite but I've little interest in things made after 1980-ish. I like old cameras and old cars. Modern stuff lacks soul. I used to wonder if this was because its built by robots with little human input beyond the design stage or if it's down to the materials used. It was a thrill when I was cleaning an old Rolleiflex Standard to find that the German worker who put it together had written the date -1932- on the rear of the mirror. You don't get that with a DSLR.

Computers leave me with mixed feelings, though. I love forums like this one and having access to lots of great information but I'm saddened by all the jobs lost in the process. I think I'd "uninvent" them if I could.
Old 12th January 2014, 11:23 AM
Friend

"Here are more kids using film, this time at Leeds Metropolitan Uni."

That's where I learned to use a darkroom in the mid 70s though it was called the Polytechnic then.
Old 12th January 2014, 12:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I must be pretty crass and ignorant as well then, David. I never used to think of myself as a Luddite but I've little interest in things made after 1980-ish. I like old cameras and old cars. Modern stuff lacks soul. I used to wonder if this was because its built by robots with little human input beyond the design stage or if it's down to the materials used. It was a thrill when I was cleaning an old Rolleiflex Standard to find that the German worker who put it together had written the date -1932- on the rear of the mirror. You don't get that with a DSLR.

Computers leave me with mixed feelings, though. I love forums like this one and having access to lots of great information but I'm saddened by all the jobs lost in the process. I think I'd "uninvent" them if I could.
I'm the same as you Brock I still find great pleasure in holding mechanical things in my hand and if they stop working looking at fixing them. I have just bought a Franka Solida 11 folding camera and its lens needs a good clean easy to do with some appropriate cleaner and much easier than the performance of cleaning a digital sensor. Don't think an appreciation of the old objects is specifically "Luddite" more an appreciation of things which are doing an excellent job and have no need to be replaced. In some respects being tethered to all that is modern and new is just as bad as being a Luddite
Old 12th January 2014, 03:38 PM
Friend

The point about soul is a good one. However efficient some new technology may be, I think you can feel divorced from the activity instead of part of it. When using my Kiev 60, Zenit, Rollei or Solida etc. I like the feel that I'm using something that has a human connection. That, of course doesn't mean that it isn't capable of fine results. I get irritated when anyone thinks that because I like my vinyl LP collection I must like my music "all hissy and scratchy" as someone once said who was old enough to know better.
Old 12th January 2014, 10:31 PM
Friend

Three peas in a pod! I still like listening to my Rega Planar 3 that I bought about 30 years ago. Full disclosure: I love Spotify for introducing me to new music.
Old 12th January 2014, 11:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Three peas in a pod! I still like listening to my Rega Planar 3 that I bought about 30 years ago. Full disclosure: I love Spotify for introducing me to new music.
Rega Planar 3? Spotify?? What are these? Yes I am serious in asking these questions but realising that I sound like someone who still thinks that telegrams are delivered by lads on green post office BSA motorbikes.

I know that they aren't of course because BSA went bankrupt but isn't it time the Post Office moved the contract to, say, Honda

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies