Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th January 2021, 10:53 PM
Friend

Default Colour Neg Film

Just what are Kodak and Fuji playing at? I have checked all the usual suppliers for Kodak and Fuji 200ISO film and there is simply none to be had.

I can get Fuji 400 Superia which is too fast for me or Kodak Ektar, but at a price I am not prepared to pay. The only glimmer (and that is fading) is from AG who mention on their website that it 'may' be in after Christmas. Well that is nearly a month ago.

The rumour mill also seems to be fairly comatose as well unless I have missed something. I know Kodak are hinted at bringing out a new C41 film, perhaps it isn't actually new, but is a reintroduction of the 200iso colorplus (joke).

Last edited by John King; 12th January 2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old 13th January 2021, 11:14 AM
Friend

Can't keep production of colour film sufficient to meet demand, John?

This is certainly the reason bandied about by those who claim that this forms the evidence for a new dawn for film's revival but I think it is still early days to make this statement. Unless the demand has suddenly rocketed then it is difficult to see why a normal increase in demand cannot be catered for by overtime/ extra shifts etc

I think that for whatever reason(s) the immediate shortage may be short-lived but it would be nice except of course for those users who cannot find their favourite film right now, if it did herald a genuine and long term revival. Once the film companies are sure that this revival is a long term one then ways will be found to cover demand

I hope that longer term film prices will stabilise to the extent of "normal" price rises but the days of "cheap film" may have gone for good, I fear

Mike
Old 13th January 2021, 04:12 PM
Friend

Default Immediate shortage

It isn't an immediate shortage this has been on the cards for several months with sporadic supplies now they seem to have completely dried up.

The price of film has gone up and up and I expect that and the prices quoted between most of the suppliers between the c200/Colorplus and the likes of Ektar have remained more or less in proportion. The price of colour film now is still cheaper in proportion than it was when I started out in photography. The only one that has significantly changed is colour slide.

But that is not the issue, why has the supply dried up?

Last edited by John King; 13th January 2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 14th January 2021, 11:24 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
It isn't an immediate shortage this has been on the cards for several months with sporadic supplies now they seem to have completely dried up.

The price of film has gone up and up and I expect that and the prices quoted between most of the suppliers between the c200/Colorplus and the likes of Ektar have remained more or less in proportion. The price of colour film now is still cheaper in proportion than it was when I started out in photography. The only one that has significantly changed is colour slide.

But that is not the issue, why has the supply dried up?
Can't answer that but I am pleased that I bought a fair amount of Agfa 200 from Poundland.
Old 16th January 2021, 09:26 AM
Friend

Default Immediate shortage

Well after a further search and a PM from another forum member I found that 1st Call down near Taunton had a small amount of Fuji C200 36exp which arrived into stock after my initial search. Even better it was at the same price as I paid last time.

They are limiting the amount you an buy to 10 so I bought a 10 pack and it has arrived this morning. It should have been yesterday but where I live was under siege with a lot of the white stuff, so nothing really lost.

How much they actually have, I don't know, but if you need some it may well be worth giving them a call.
Old 16th January 2021, 11:19 AM
Friend

Hi John,
You must have had some of the last few rolls as it is now down as unavailable,
Richard
Old 16th January 2021, 01:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Well after a further search and a PM from another forum member I found that 1st Call down near Taunton had a small amount of Fuji C200 36exp which arrived into stock after my initial search. Even better it was at the same price as I paid last time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Hi John,
You must have had some of the last few rolls as it is now down as unavailable,
Richard
I can't remember the last time I bought and used colour negative / print film, which I only use for holidays and it's been a while since I've had one of those.

But I was quite shocked at the price range of them now, and I thought B/W film had gone up in price!

I can see why you bought the Fuji C200 36exp films now John.

The lowest AND available film from them now is Kodak Ultra Max 135-24, ISO 400 at £6.29 a roll, with as Richard says, the majority of the others being out of stock (or just really expensive!).

And John, you totally confused me by saying 1st Call Taunton. I haven't had enough caffeine yet, as only after googling it, I realised that you meant firstcall-photographic.co.uk

Terry S
Old 16th January 2021, 02:01 PM
Friend

Default Fuji and Kodak C41 film

the C200 Fuji and Colorplus Kodak is not being discontinued. There are manufacturing problems due in no small part to the virus and the transport to customers in the whole world also due to the virus is the apparent reason (AG Photographic's summary).

I have actually got 15 cassettes now apart from the other 3 I already knew I had. A clean out of an old camera bag yielded up another 2 so I have enough for a few months.
Old 16th January 2021, 02:39 PM
Friend

Covid is causing worldwide problems for almost everything, and with the situation seemingly getting worse before it gets better we should not be surprised when some of the things we enjoy using gets scarce on a temporary basis, but things will get better, the vaccines are here now, and by the summer, hopefully, we should see an improvement, all we can do now is to bite the bullet and use what we can get, if we need to pay a bit more, so be it, as regards Colorplus, on he very rare times I have used it, which has not been for a few years, it was a very nice film, the Fuji I have never used, for some reason I have never liked Fuji's offering, black and white or color
Richard
Old 16th January 2021, 04:04 PM
Friend

Boots The Chemist has some on their website.

Firstcall are asking £3.99p, Boots are asking £7.99p !!!!
A little message at the Boots basket tells you " very popular, 9 sold today."
I typed in a quantity of 20 to see what happened, it seemed quite happy.
Needles to say I immediately cleared the basket.

Even Charley Clore would have hesitated at those prices.

Good Hunting.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies