Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th February 2020, 12:29 PM
Friend

Default Cheapest place for Tetenal Protectan spray?

My can of Tetenal Protectan spray has suddenly expired on me.

I've currently topped up a bottle or two of chemicals with butane lighter spray = NOT ideal, even if it is cheaper and used by some members.

So, where do people buy their supply from, when that is all they need? Buying just the one item, the p/p is ridiculous with the majority of sellers.

The cheapest I can find is on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tetenal-P...0AAOSw1kZeLwHJ

Anyone know a cheaper supplier or even an alternative? Is there only the one product out there made for this situation?

Terry S
Old 26th February 2020, 12:47 PM
Friend

Terry It appears that The Imaging Warehouse sells it at £20.95 so just over £4 cheaper than your e-bay seller

Check the rest of our sponsors if yo haven't already but I suspect that if its Protectan you want then the Imaging Warehouse may be the cheapest

Mike
Old 26th February 2020, 01:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Terry It appears that The Imaging Warehouse sells it at £20.95 so just over £4 cheaper than your e-bay seller

Check the rest of our sponsors if yo haven't already but I suspect that if its Protectan you want then the Imaging Warehouse may be the cheapest

Mike
Thanks for that Mike. I'm going to work my way through the sponsors and other sites later.

As for The IW, you have to add about another fiver on for minimum p/p, so they end up at about a pound dearer than the ebay seller.

In fact, I think it may have been the same place I got it last time, although I don't remember how much I paid?

I'm also surprised that this seems to be the only product on the market that does what it does - unless anyone knows differently?

Terry S
Old 26th February 2020, 01:26 PM
Friend

You used to get similar products marketed for preserving opened bottles of wine (not generally necessary in our house). I think Lakeland Plastics sold it, but you could do an online search. It doesn’t have the fine tube of Protectan, but I recall it was quite cheap.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 26th February 2020, 01:54 PM
Friend

Fotoimpex in Germany seems to have the best price including delivery at €25,90 which equates to £21.41 at today's exchange rate (though I'm sure that there'll be bank or PayPal "charges").

https://www.fotoimpex.com/shop/syste...che=1582724769
Old 26th February 2020, 04:33 PM
Friend

I use wine vacuum pump and stoppers, no need for gas.
Old 26th February 2020, 05:46 PM
Friend

Terry your thread made me do a bit more research and there may be a cheaper alternative to Protectan which Alex hit on. On Amazon there is a can of stuff called Wine and Food Preserver for £11.99 with postage under £3

It has very few reviews but all are top-rated for it as a wine preserver

The pluses compared to Protectan seem to be:

1. Cheaper and a slightly bigger can
2. An inert gas(Argon) so safe( I have no idea about smell)

The minuses( possible only - see comments)

Lighter than propane/butane but still considerably heavier than air. Does this mean that a bigger volume has to be expelled each time so the can runs out faster - I don't know but maybe not as the total volume of argon in the can is slightly greater than Protectan. If the volume of gas required is the same then it would see the answer is No

Even if it does require more argon, how much more? The can is about 170% cheaper so if it takes say 50% more argon to do the same job then it is still a lot cheaper.

2. Protectan smells and is flammable.

If it were me I'd be tempted to try this stuff. Even if it doesn't turn out to be cheaper then as long as it isn't more expensive in the long run argon does have the inert quality so much safer.

I hope this helps

Mike
Old 26th February 2020, 08:00 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post

Even if it does require more argon, how much more?

Mike
Presumably both needs a sufficient volume to displace all the air in the bottle above the chemical to work effectively. In which case you would need the same volume of either? I think I will try the argon when my Protectan runs out!!
Cheers, Mike
Old 26th February 2020, 08:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
Presumably both needs a sufficient volume to displace all the air in the bottle above the chemical to work effectively. In which case you would need the same volume of either? I think I will try the argon when my Protectan runs out!!
Cheers, Mike
Mike, your first sentence makes sense to me in the scientific/maths context so this is good news. My problem is that in matters of gas weight and volume or really any matters concerning chemistry I always worry that what makes sense intuitively is not scientifically valid.

Mike
Old 26th February 2020, 08:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
Cheers, Mike
As it’s heavier than air surely you don’t need to displace all the air but rather you need sufficient gas to mean there is no air in contact with the chemicals? Or have I totally misunderstood? Wouldn’t be the first time
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies