Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Articles > Articles

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Pre and Post Flashing
Les McLean
17th December 2008
PRE AND POST FLASHING

Contrast control is the key to making the fine black and white print. Clearly, there are many other considerations, factors such as tonal range, image size print colour to name just three, all play a very important role in the search for the ultimate...
By David Brown on 12th October 2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjendezutter View Post
i've tried the flashing test first on my Durst M605 but with the times 2-4--6-8-10-12- the result was dark .There is no need to put a negative in the holder to do the testproof?
Second question .Can I manage the flashing when the first enlarger is a Durst M 605 and the second to make the image is a Krokus 66 which required much longer times ... beginning at 60 seconds ...
I've ordred a couple of new bulbs for the Krokus maybe I can make the times shorter ...
Yes, you can use the Durst for flashing. Did you stop the lens all the way down? Did you raise the head as high as it will go? You'll get much longer times that way.
By Tony Marlow on 12th October 2013, 07:46 PM

It does not matter what light source you use for flashing. I use a RH flasher which has a small light head, Tim Rudman uses a low powered light fixed to the ceiling of his darkroom, it just needs to be dim enough not fog the paper. I find it helps to have a separate light from the enlarger used for printing as you can easily flash just part of the paper without dulling other areas. I find flashing a very useful tool for controlling highlights.

Tony
By DougHowk on 13th October 2013, 11:30 PM

I find that pre-flashing has enabled me to deal with some high contrast negatives which seemed too difficult to deal with otherwise.
For enlarging paper I use the RH Design pre-flasher.
For contact printing paper such as Fomalux, use a Bessler audible timer which enables me to flash for 1/10 second increments.
For Palladium coated paper, I've found that a single BLB bulb along with a black sheet of foam core works fine for giving a few seconds flash.
By cliveh on 14th October 2013, 09:32 PM

Les, I have heard of pre-flashing, but not post flashing. Can you please explain the difference? As I think it would make an interesting discussion on APUG?
By Mike O'Pray on 14th October 2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Can you please explain the difference? As I think it would make an interesting discussion on APUG?
But not an interesting discussion here on FADU?

Mike
By cliveh on 14th October 2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
But not an interesting discussion here on FADU?

Mike
I'm sure it could also be discussed on FADU.
Comment
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search