Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th May 2017, 08:02 PM
Friend

Default Film processing disaster

[ADMIN EDIT: Two threads merged]

hi All,

i just had a darkroom disaster today with many negs coming out with splats and streaks all over them.

I'm using Jobo on setting 1 for 7.30. I've never really had this happen before and am in complete puzzlement.

Attached are some jpegs of the damage.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6003.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2739   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6006.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	2740   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6007.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2741  

Last edited by Bob; 15th May 2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 15th May 2017, 08:00 AM
Friend

Default Film negs ruined

Hi,

Sorry of i made a mistake posting the earlier post but i can;t see it on the site so am re posting.

Basically i got these horrible what look like splash marks on my film begs yesterday. Using a Jobo on setting 1 and have not really had this happen before i don't think.

Ay help is greatly appreciated, i don't want to ruin anymore negs.

Cheers,

Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6003.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2742   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6006.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	2743   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6007.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2744  
Old 15th May 2017, 10:33 AM
Friend

Put 200ml of water in your tank, do a dummy run for the developer time then measure the contents of the tank. If its not 200ml then you have a leak or you can put food dye/water in the tank so you can see if you have any leaks. If your tank has leaked a reduced amount of developer will splash. Did you pre-soak your film? The splash marks could be from pouring the developer in too fast splashing it onto the dry film.
Old 15th May 2017, 11:58 AM
Friend

Hi Simon. I don't use a Jobo machine, but it looks like this film may not have been loaded properly on the spiral. When that happens, you can have one section of film touching another, and uneven development. The edges, where visible, look a bit rough as if damaged in some way. Did you have any difficulty getting this film onto the spiral?
Alex
Old 15th May 2017, 01:30 PM
Friend

I tend to agree with Alex, it looks like uneven development to me, as Alex says perhaps the film was not loaded properly, maybe you had a problem loading the film onto the reel,?
Richard
Old 15th May 2017, 02:08 PM
Friend

Simon, I am going to "steal Richard's thunder" here but I have found that as he has pointed out that it is worth using the tip of a soft pencil , the higher the B rating the better, to deposit graphite on the reel's rings.

It does make loading much smoother and may prevent any sticking if this is the cause of the problem.

The thin smear of graphite does not or at least has not in my case caused any issue for the film.

Mike
Old 15th May 2017, 02:31 PM
Friend

Your earlier thread is there, Simon and several of us have answered it. Maybe the mods can merge the threads so we and Simon especially, do not have to look at both threads to keep up with the discussion.

Thanks

Mike
Old 15th May 2017, 03:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Simon, I am going to "steal Richard's thunder" here but I have found that as he has pointed out that it is worth using the tip of a soft pencil , the higher the B rating the better, to deposit graphite on the reel's rings.

It does make loading much smoother and may prevent any sticking if this is the cause of the problem.

The thin smear of graphite does not or at least has not in my case caused any issue for the film.

Mike
The good old pencil trick, works every time
Richard
Old 15th May 2017, 06:48 PM
Administrator

[Merged the threads]
Old 15th May 2017, 07:47 PM
Friend

Default Cheers !

Hi There,

Thanks to all for the help with this, sorry still trying to find my feet with the site a tad.

Yes, i had major problems loading the NEW Jobo reels, think one took around 20 minutes to jam in the film somehow. It was a nightmare. Do you gents think that the film was actually sticking together, perhaps sliding out of the flanges ?

I also did pour the dev in really quick so was thinking it could've splashed like GoodOldNorm suggests.

I'll be off to the arts & crafts store in the morning for a thick B pencil and will also go slower on the pouring in ! Perhaps i should to a prewash...

But in the meantime i do have quite a lot of Patterson tanks and am just wondering if the community think that just more proficient way to develop BW negs ?

Can't thank you enough for the help and the old lady in the shot, she just died yesterday and her family want a photo for the service so hopefully i can manage to develop a good one for them !

Thanks again,

Simon
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies