Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd February 2020, 07:17 PM
Friend

Default Collectable Cameras

I am starting to wonder if they are still in business.

There is a new website perhaps 2-3 months old but with very, very little stock on sale. What there is does not seem to have moved for at least a week.

I have also tried to ring but all I get is the answerphone on both land line or mobile numbers with an invitation to leave a message.

Instead I have tried contacting them last week using the internal 'contact us' proforma on the website, but now even after 4 days there has been no reply.

Has anyone any news or information? It will be a shame because they were very helpful and seemed to nearly always have that little bit you wanted.

Last edited by John King; 23rd February 2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 23rd February 2020, 07:40 PM
Friend

Yes Simon's still in business, he may have been away while it's been half term as he has kids.

He said he was not listing as much on his new website when I spoke to him at the last camera fair at Wolverhampton. He's got items listed on Ebay ending in a few days.

Ian
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:17 PM
Friend

Well that's a bit of good news, anyway. Is there a link to his E Bay listings?
Old 23rd February 2020, 11:57 PM
Friend

Here, from a simple Google search.

I've bought quite a few items of Simon over the past few years, always priced competitively and fairly. He wants satisfied buyers and also to make a living without sitting on over priced stock cluttering up space.

While I've always bought at camera fairs he's had the same items listed on his website..

He's the exact opposite to Mr Rock of Rocky Cameras !!!!!!!! I'll see Simon in a couple of weeks and mention this thread and that many of us would like to see more items listed on his website.

Ian

Last edited by Lostlabours; 24th February 2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old 24th February 2020, 12:50 PM
Friend

First time visit to his site for me and I'm very impressed with the stock that he holds.

I've made him one of my few saved sellers on ebay and I'm sure to check out the site when I'm looking for something that he might sell.

I always prefer recommended sites by e.g. people on forums like this.

Terry S
Old 26th February 2020, 11:26 AM
Friend

His normal website has not changed, no stock in or out as from my original post until 11.00 this morning. I much preferred his old site.

I have bought quite few nice bits and pieces from Simon including the quite rare Minolta XM which I had fully serviced and is working very well.
Old 26th February 2020, 11:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
His normal website has not changed, no stock in or out as from my original post until 11.00 this morning. I much preferred his old site.

I have bought quite few nice bits and pieces from Simon including the quite rare Minolta XM which I had fully serviced and is working very well.
I also have bought a lot from Simon over the years, but I have been wondering what has happened, his old website was unchanged, not even upbdated, from June last year to his new site, and he does not seem to be selling or buying new, nothing has changed for a month, and his Ebay shop has not as much as it used to have, Like you,John, I way prefferred his old site
Richard
Old 2nd March 2020, 01:55 PM
Friend

Default Collectable cameras

I may have found the answer to the absence of response from Simon. Where he runs the business from, is a village called Barmby on the Marsh, East Yorkshire. - That name itself speaks volumes! It lies between two rivers and the general terrain is as flat as a pancake.

According to the Environmental Agency website, although it is difficult to interpret the schematic map, that village is/was under a current warning for floods with the premises seeming to be right on the edge of the flooded area.

I may be wrong and I hope I am, so we can only hope he and his family are OK.

Last edited by John King; 2nd March 2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 2nd March 2020, 03:15 PM
Friend

I saw Simon esteday, I looked at a few items on his stall but he didn't have as much as usual. There were too many people around o have a chat.

I've seen Simon with items that were never listed on his website or Ebay like a 10x8 Thornton Tourist camera, a triple lens rotating lens board, and also with a roll film back. This was rare as it pre-dated the formation of Thornton Pickard, and the 8" wide roll film back was unique, probably a prototype. I know he sold it to a collector.

So I wouldn't speculate too much we don't know all he's buying and selling. Some sellers be saving stock for Photographica in London where sales prices are generally higher.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies