Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th March 2020, 05:34 PM
Friend

Default Ilford stopping production due to covid 19

Hope this is in the right place, but I have just been on the Ilford site and as of tomorrow they will be stopping production at Mobberly and closing the site down due to this Covid 19 until further notice, they say they ramped up production of all film and paper over the last two weeks and their warehouse is full, and will be back as soon as possible,
Richard
Old 30th March 2020, 07:20 PM
Friend

Well, they need to look after their workers and it looks as if that's what they're doing. Good for them.

Thank you for posting this, Richard.
Old 30th March 2020, 07:24 PM
Friend

Richard I posted what I think is the same info a minute or two prior to this and placed it in the Offers of Interest sub forum as it concerned Ilford but what I cannot find is any announcement on its website other than a two liner saying Covid Update which states that it will try to meet the next working day despatch but there might be delays

Where on the Ilford site is the bigger announcement to which you refer?

Thanks

Mike
Old 30th March 2020, 07:33 PM
Friend

It was in the news section of the main Ilford.com site, not their on linre shop, it is also on their facebook page, I first came across it in a post on Phototrio, and went to their main site to check for myself, It appears that although as a manufacturing companu they can carry on they felt that it was better to close for now to protect their workforce, and that those left were working from home, they have furloughed theirworkforce uner your Government's scheme
Richard
Old 30th March 2020, 07:44 PM
Friend

Thanks, I have managed to find it now Richard I found the small bit labelled "news" at the very bottom of its page. I do not have a Facebook account nor do I see any need for one and it appears that you cannot access anything there without joining

The thread's opening on Photrio kind of suggested to me that as the stoppage was indefinite then there might well be difficulties meeting demand so I commented that it seemed a little incongruous to be making a 5% off offer at this time

The reply I got was that Ilford says it has lots of stock. Well lots is relative to demand as I see it but I suppose that if we are locked down and not supposed to be taking unnecessary journeys or interacting/visiting places in the normal sense of the word then maybe the demand has been anticipated and allowed for in Ilford's calculations

Mike
Old 30th March 2020, 08:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Thanks, I have managed to find it now Richard I found the small bit labelled "news" at the very bottom of its page. I do not have a Facebook account nor do I see any need for one and it appears that you cannot access anything there without joining

The thread's opening on Photrio kind of suggested to me that as the stoppage was indefinite then there might well be difficulties meeting demand so I commented that it seemed a little incongruous to be making a 5% off offer at this time

The reply I got was that Ilford says it has lots of stock. Well lots is relative to demand as I see it but I suppose that if we are locked down and not supposed to be taking unnecessary journeys or interacting/visiting places in the normal sense of the word then maybe the demand has been anticipated and allowed for in Ilford's calculations

Mike
It seems that they have been working flat out for a while to make sure their warehouse is full, and as you say with lockdown we won't be going far do film sales won't be as normal, over here we are allowed out to shop or some exercise for 2 hours a day, as far as Facebook, I don't have an account, I can't see a use for it for myself,
Richard
Old 30th March 2020, 08:17 PM
Friend

ouch... understandable but i do wonder how this halt in business will affect england on a whole moving forward. I need to purchase some id11 and microphen so i shall use the 5% offer.

thanks for informing
Old 30th March 2020, 09:20 PM
Friend

Default Ilford

At least they stocked up before they pulled the plug so supplies should last for a while. I have had a delivery today from Morco with more materials (film, developer both film and paper, MG Paper and MG developer,) so I now have enough to last me for a good while. My only 'weak spot' is fixer I have only 1 litre of concentrate so I may dip into the money pot again for another.

If the anticipated and possible 'shortage' becomes a reality and I run out, I will have to fall back and use..... say it quietly..... very quietly...….the 'D' word. ARGHHHH!

Talking about Morco, their price for 1 litre of Multigrade developer is £11. Their price for 5 litres is £22. So buy a 5 litre canister and get 3 litres free which I did. Decanted into screw top glass bottles, Multigrade stock lasts a very long time - at least 18-24 months

Last edited by John King; 30th March 2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 31st March 2020, 12:06 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Multigrade stock lasts a very long time - at least 18-24 months
So you may last about a month longer than the restrictions. Time for a bit of black humour methinks

Mike
Old 31st March 2020, 07:51 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
So you may last about a month longer than the restrictions. Time for a bit of black humour methinks

Mike
Oh yes, having been in Armed Forces and the police service I can do black humour very well.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies