Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th October 2020, 08:51 AM
Friend

Mine is in the post
Richard
Old 9th October 2020, 12:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Mine is in the post
Richard
First in the post and first to be received this month Richard.

What I have received is three prints, on 9 1/2" x 12" paper, that's been trimmed slightly. Is this the best size to print full size 35mm negatives on?

The pictures are of some old bottles that Richard found discarded in local hedgerows. It seems that the people who like to drink on the hoof in Jersey, prefer sweet Bordeaux and Martini Metz. (I had to look Metz up, but immediately remembered the Judderman ad, although I've never tried it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yovNUABeCrU)

Keeping the dirt and debris on them, Richard shot the bottles quite simply against a black background, using window light and then printed them up on the new-ish Ilford MGV paper.

There's lots of crisp details in the shots and the MGV paper definitely produces blacker blacks than MGIV, in my eyes, if that's even possible?

Thanks for the prints Richard and I think you may have prompted me to have another go at still life, as the colder and wetter months appear.

Terry S
Old 9th October 2020, 01:08 PM
Friend

Hi All,

Ok, mine's in the post today!

Z

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk
Old 9th October 2020, 03:37 PM
Friend

Glad you like them Terry, that is slightly larger than full frame 35mm, but it was a bit of an experiment to print the 35mm very slightly cropped onto the same size that I get for 645 negatives, gives a slightly bigger print, I find that with 9 1/2 x 12, which is my standrad size paper, with full frame 35mm you tend to get a slightly panoramic print, which I thought might not suit this subject, so I thought, given the subject, a more standard print would look better, For landscape/seascape type photos I might go back to full frame, but I will be interested in what you think, full frame 35mm or larger but slightly cropped ?
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 9th October 2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10th October 2020, 08:11 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

(I had to look Metz up, but immediately remembered the Judderman ad, although I've never tried it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yovNUABeCrU)

Terry S
Its not just information about Film & Darkroom that you are exposed to on this forum. It is a wider education in its own right. Never heard of Metz or these adverts before. I have now!

Thanks, Mike
Old 10th October 2020, 12:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
For landscape/seascape type photos I might go back to full frame, but I will be interested in what you think, full frame 35mm or larger but slightly cropped ?
Richard
I think the paper size (and surface etc,) one uses is totally a personal one Richard. Some well known and some not so well known photographers over the years have only ever printed full frame (quite often printing the rebates as well).

Personally I do a mixture of both, as one can't always get it right in camera, especially when one enjoys using plastic (often considered disposable) cameras and point and shoot ones as well. If one feels that cropping is necessary, then go ahead and do it.

As for paper size, I very rarely print anything bigger than 10" x 8". I do this as my storage file pages are that size, so anything I do or receive for print exchanges, that is larger, is harder to store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
Its not just information about Film & Darkroom that you are exposed to on this forum. It is a wider education in its own right. Never heard of Metz or these adverts before. I have now!

Thanks, Mike
And now you've seen the ad, I'm sure you will remember it Mike, but maybe not the product so well. At least that's what has happened to me.

Terry S
Old 10th October 2020, 12:38 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry, what I normally is print, for instance, 66 square, but if needed crop within the square frame, all of my 66 cameras ar fixed lenses, either TLR or folder's, same applies to 35mm and 645, except that for 645 and 35mm I use slr's as well as fixed lens/rangefinder's, and as you say, can't always get it right in cameras, but with each format I will crop within the full frame, if that makes sense
Richard
Old 10th October 2020, 03:40 PM
Friend

Just finished my printing session, hope to get picture in post on Tuesday.

Ian
Old 11th October 2020, 06:16 PM
Print Exchange Manager

My offering has made it to the post.

Mike
Old 13th October 2020, 06:05 PM
Friend

Posted mine today, hopefully should arrive in the next day or so.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies