Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th July 2013, 08:52 AM
Friend

Default Colin Prior video

Here's a short video of the work of Colin Pryor.

http://gu.com/p/3h8gx

Nick
Old 12th July 2013, 09:54 AM
Friend

what film was he using .........
Old 12th July 2013, 04:18 PM
Friend

Sounds like he uses digital now although the first shot shown where he didn't want the golden eagles as "streaks on the film emulsion" says he obviously once used film. Not my kind of photography really but interesting video as the guy has passion for what he does and some of the light he's captured is pretty stunning. I'm always a bit dubious though when someone starts saying they felt like a 'conductor of the elements'....Anyway, I'll get me coat before it becomes a digi/anal thread!
Old 12th July 2013, 05:24 PM
Friend

Colin Prior (i not y) made his name shooting 6x17 on transparency film in the 80s-2000s using a linhof and then the fujii GX617 system, you've probably seen his pano calendars for sale all over the place, and he has a few books published, especially of scotlands mountains. In the pano genre he's produced some remarkable work, and I think he's shot 5x4 with an ebony or Arca if I recall correctly. Seems to have made a switch to digital in recent years but for my money he better work is still the older stuff on Velvia.
Old 22nd December 2013, 01:21 AM
Friend

I don't much like the things he says and all, and all his pictures are, when you break it down, is impressive. Not a great deal more. Although his aim to inspire people to experience a different (natural) world is something I do agree with, and his photographs do that very well. Worked on me, at least.

Not sure what I think of it really. Impressive views captured (credit to the planet for that, not him), inspiring pictures. Fine.
Old 15th February 2015, 09:41 PM
Friend

Hadn't seen this , but that's an excellent piece . I've always admired Colin's work and the effort reqiuired to get those shots. Makes 100% sense to me , everything he says . Great !
Old 15th February 2015, 11:50 PM
Friend

I have just watched the video. I was confused by the written intro which stated that he was suggesting that users should rip digital cameras apart. My initial thought was this meant rejecting their use but in fact what he seems to be saying, if it means anything at all, is that photographers should return to a simpler world where everything was manual.

Difficult to know how to reconcile this to the kind of automation that is intrinsic in digital. The two seem interlinked.

The phrase "rip apart" might make good headlines but the concept of a digital Agfa Isolette or say Kodak pre-war folder or similar seems a form of poetic licence that sounds profound but on analysis means very little

Mike
Old 16th February 2015, 10:02 AM
Friend

I have enjoyed Colin's work over the years.
If it was not for him climbing to these out of reach places we would have mist the theatrics of earth and sky at the ex-streams of the day.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 16th February 2015, 10:09 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I have enjoyed Colin's work over the years.
If it was not for him climbing to these out of reach places we would have mist the theatrics of earth and sky at the ex-streams of the day.
Was that a freudian slip or deliberate.

p.s. Some of us have walked up a lot of big and been up much bigger mountains and seen these sights for ourselves.
Old 16th February 2015, 01:16 PM
Friend

In tandem with the "ex-steams" of the day I presumed deliberate
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies