Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th January 2017, 08:28 PM
Friend

Having read through this thread, I wanted to check my own washing procedure against Ilford guidelines as I only wash RC paper for 2minutes. The fact sheet for MG IV RC papers recommends 2 minutes, and warns against excessive wet time (more than 15 minutes). Given the construction of these papers, there's probably not much to be gained by longer washing times. The temperature is quoted as above 5C. Unless I'm mistaken, you're basically just washing chemical residue off the surface, rather than out of the paper itself. I'm sure the construction of the Kentmere paper is similar to MG IV. I can't add any more to the cause of the toning problem, but washing RC paper for extended periods is likely to have an adverse effect.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11th January 2017, 07:59 AM
Friend

I did the same as you, Alex and re-read the Ilford guidelines. As you say, Ilford recommend a 2 minute wash for RC papers...and 1 min fix (for Ilford Rapid Fixer diluted 1+9).

I think while I was washing for much longer than 2 mins in the first instance, my technique was probably a bit haphazard. What I was doing is throwing all the prints (say 4-5) into a tray in the sink, put something under one end of the tray so it was tilted slightly and then turning on the mixer tap, letting a fairly decent stream of not-quite-cold water wash over the prints. Every so often I would dump the water, rinse each print briefly under the tap and change bottom-to-top order.

Perhaps it was all a bit hit-and-miss and some prints simply weren't getting enough water flowing over them.

Anyway, after the replies on this thread I decided to be a little more rigorous and changed to using my Nova print washer, which up to now I had only been using for fibre prints. Each print now sits in its own individual slot. I probably overdid things a bit (washed longer than 2 mins, but less than 15) and everything turned out OK.

A bit frustrating at the time, but hopefully my new system will prevent similar problems in the future.

Michael
Old 11th January 2017, 12:47 PM
Friend

Micheal
For RC washing I made a washer, of sorts, in that I drilled a series of holes between the ridges of an old 12/16 tray and would put that beneath a tap, with 2 prints 12 1/2 x 9 at a time which I would let wash for 5 or 10 minutes, and then would tone, very rarely would I get a problem, I have no running water in my darkroom, but the kitchen is one room away, I would wash the prints while I get the next negative ready to print, then I would tone the previous prints, this works fine with Kentmere VCRC paper,
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies