Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th March 2017, 12:26 PM
Friend

Default Is anyone out there doing chrysotypes?

My interest in alternative processes started with cyanotypes but I have now managed to produce some chrysotypes by following the information in 'The Chrysotype Manual' by Mike Ware. The process is rather complicated but I'm pleased to say that the results are proving worthwhile.
Is anyone else using this or a similar process and, if so, how have they got on?
Old 4th March 2017, 04:40 PM
Friend

I had never heard of the process before you mentioned it Paul. I just googled it for images but that gave loads of pictures of various colours.

Could you elaborate a little about the process and hopefully upload or link a print or two that you have been able to make? I'm sure a few would be interested to see them.

Terry S
Old 4th March 2017, 10:49 PM
Friend

Thanks for your interest Terry, I have uploaded a couple of images from 10x8in prints.
The top print originates from a 35mm negative and the bottom one from a 5x4in negative. From these 5x4in interpositives were prepared and then 10x8in negatives on lith film to contact print the final image.
The chrysotype process involves coating art paper with a sensitizer solution containing gold and iron salts and contact printing this with the enlarged negative using UV light. Depending on the conditions this gives a partial or complete printout that then requires developing and further treatment to make it permanent. The end result is an image on the art paper in nanoparticulate gold of variable colour depending on the processing and of great permanency.
Obviously, this is not a quick job to say the least! Out of all the alternative processes I suppose I chose this one because, in theory, the colour of the end result can be varied over a wide range with a degree of predictability. I have only scratched the surface of this process so far.

Paul
Old 5th March 2017, 01:11 PM
Friend

Thanks for the further info Paul. It goes to show however much you think you know, there is always someone who can show you something you don't!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies