Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st October 2019, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
“... or clean fingers”. Cheaper than a squeegee for most of us.
I meant as in scratches ! ?
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:10 AM
Friend

photomi7ch hi Mitch ,I am interested in the shammy leather way of wiping down negatives ,how exactly do you do it and how do you take care of the shammy ,I have just ordered one and will have a go with it .
thanks

www.essexcockney.com
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:55 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I have just ordered one and will have a go with it .
www.essexcockney.com
I don't know how much you paid, but for reference to anyone else who is going to get one, I've seen them in my local Poundshop, for, you've guessed it, a pound!

Terry S
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:58 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannik View Post
Doesn't everyone, using film clips top and bottom, did that 40 years ago, did it this week
Yes, to top and bottom with clips, but hanging the film HORIZONTALLY and NOT vertically as you and most others do, meaning the water to run off has a smaller distance to travel!

Terry S
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
photomi7ch hi Mitch ,I am interested in the shammy leather way of wiping down negatives ,how exactly do you do it and how do you take care of the shammy ,I have just ordered one and will have a go with it .
thanks

www.essexcockney.com
I soak the shammy in cold clean water and rinse it a couple of times before I use it. On the last rinse I squeeze most of the water out until it is just damp. I hang the negatives up with a top clip and then gentle run the cloth down the length. I do this three times to the shiny side and twice to the matt side. Once done I add the bottom clip and then rinse the cloth again when finished. By using this method you cut down the drying time as well.

I would suggest that in the beginning that you only do the shiny side until you feel confident about doing the back. It only needs a very light touch.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:59 PM
Administrator

It makes a lot of sense but I can't figure out how I can easily arrange to hang three or four rolls that way in practice. I will have to think harder (not one of my more popular (or successful) pastimes).
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
It makes a lot of sense but I can't figure out how I can easily arrange to hang three or four rolls that way in practice. I will have to think harder (not one of my more popular (or successful) pastimes).

just film clips and a hanger

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	3414  
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannik View Post
just film clips and a hanger

The idea in the original post is to hang the film rolls horizontally, not vertically. I have a line for hanging vertically, that's no problem. Would need multiple lines for multipe horizontally hanging rolls. Need to figure out how to do that in the available space.

Actually, now I think about it, I have a shelf over my 6' long darkroom sink - I could string some lines under that. It's only 200mm wide but it could fit three lines - maybe four... Hmmmm.... Will have to experiment...

Last edited by Bob; 22nd October 2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 22nd October 2019, 02:30 PM
Friend

In theory the horizontal way might be a worthwhile precaution if there are water marks but a better return might be to examine the drying process and see if there are any hidden problems there.

All I can say is that all my films hang vertically and my area of the country is classified as a hard water area. I have to regularly descale my kettle.

In nearly 15 years of processing I must have done quite a number of films and have yet to experience a problem.

In soft water areas which seems to be the whole of Wales where you live, Cannik, I'd have thought that the likelihood of water marks is considerably less

Mike
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:34 PM
Friend

A middle way for hanging films is used by Frances Shultz, wife of the late Roger Hicks. She hangs her negatives on the slant so that the water runs to the edge and then down the side. It is a lot easier to do this than trying to hang them horizotally. You just need some way to tye a line from the bottom clip to to pull the negative off the vertical, perhaps even accross a door way.

Tony

Tony
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies