Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th January 2020, 10:52 AM
Friend

Default Lack of separation of frames using 120 film

Hello,could you help please.When using my 1951 Linhof Super Technika 6x9 camera with a Rollex rollfilm back I have noticed that there is very small separation between each frame after development.I believe I might have read somewhere that the size of spools used by manufacturers has decreased over the years which has contributed to this problem.Is this correct,and have other members found a simple way to solve this problem ? Many thanks for any help.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:01 AM
Friend

I've heard Fuji Acros can be a problem in some Rolleiflex cameras for the reason you mention. I've not had an issue with other films Ilford, Kodak and Foma with my two Rolleiflex cameras but I've only shot Acros in a Yashicamat.

Ian
Old 17th January 2020, 11:23 AM
Friend

Not all films are the same thickness, this can result in smaller or larger gaps between frames. I would not worry about it unless the frames overlap.
Old 17th January 2020, 12:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Not all films are the same thickness, this can result in smaller or larger gaps between frames. I would not worry about it unless the frames overlap.
Can be a problem when cutting up the roll leaving insufficient blank film
to allow proper location in a glass less enlarger negative carrier?
Old 19th January 2020, 04:24 PM
Friend

The last Zeiss Super Ikonta suffers from something similar. An easy solution is to load the film as normal but, just before closing the back, stick about three inches of ordinary plastic electrical tape to the right hand side of the backing paper. The Ikonta’s problem is caused by a thinner backing paper than was the case in the ‘50s and early ‘60s and the tape helps to simulate the original thickness thus increasing the frame spacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19th January 2020, 07:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanannan View Post
Can be a problem when cutting up the roll leaving insufficient blank film
to allow proper location in a glass less enlarger negative carrier?
When I was processing 120 film for professionals in the late 60s I ran into the same problem - where to cut to fit four lengths into an A4-size sleeve?
So we sleeved uncut in long rolls and let the clients decide where to cut. The worst cameras were battered Rolleiflexes and Hasselblads , recognised by the notches in the frame. From memory, Mamiya TLRs were better.
Old 19th January 2020, 08:28 PM
Friend

What film have you noticed this problem with?
Old 20th January 2020, 10:45 AM
Friend

Default Lack of separation on frames using 120 rollfilm

Thank you for the many replies on this subject.I have only used Ilford film with this camera and found this problem.The camera is at least 69 years old according to Linhof.Has the size of the spools been decreased in size over the years ?
Old 20th January 2020, 02:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRaynsfor View Post
Thank you for the many replies on this subject.I have only used Ilford film with this camera and found this problem.The camera is at least 69 years old according to Linhof.Has the size of the spools been decreased in size over the years ?
Barry I am probably clutching at straws here but is your camers definitely a 120 and not a 620. Both take 120 film but the spools are a different thickness. Did it come with a spool and if so is it the same thickness as a standards 120 spoolI

Just a thought and possibly an erroneous one to boot but I'd thought I'd mention it

Mike
Old 20th January 2020, 04:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
I noticed a change in spacing when I switched from Acros 100 to Fomapan 100, which is noticeably thinner than Acros. Spacing with Fomapan is circa 2mm wider.
Flickr Site
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies