Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th January 2011, 09:37 PM
Friend

Default Foma 400 sheet film

I found this listed on the fomaphoto website link below when looking at alternatives to HP5 in 4x5

http://www.fomafoto.com/index.php?pa...chk=1&Itemid=1

So I gave Matt at AG a ring and he told me he had spotted it on there product range and has ordered some, he said with a bit of luck it would be in this week so I have asked him to send me some to try if it comes in this week. Haven't got an exact price but its a couple of quid more then the Foma 100 which is very competitively priced.

Neil
Old 25th January 2011, 11:55 PM
Friend

I shoot foma a lot, but not in sheet but rather medium format 6xx7.
I like the film, in fact it and across 100 are my favorite of all of em' (two definitely different films) and it does no harm that the film is quite reasonably priced. I do find that it is slower than 400 by more than most. I usually rate it at 200 to 250.
I wonder if the sheet film is very different. Is the base as blue as on the 120 size?

I hope you wind up enjoying it and I for one am very interested in your impressions as I am currently shopping around for a 4x5 system. First the darkroom timer (The RH designs StopClock pro - of course! ) and then a 4x5 and three or four lenses. It will be strange not to need to buy any gear after that! I digital there was always another camera that I was planing to get which would be "better" a week after the current one was a month old!

Than ... just film ... paper .... and hopefully improved vision. Yep, film seems more about photography - to me.
Old 26th January 2011, 07:52 PM
Friend

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Foma when I have tried it I will post some thoughts on it.

Neil
Old 27th January 2011, 09:13 AM
Friend

Neil I will be interested in how you get on, in the days of Retro Photographic I used a lot of Foma 400 and liked it a lot, and would rate it at 320 in Rodinal, liked it a lot, but with the demise of retro I went back to HP5, but when my stock of Ilford is used up I will switch back to Foma, I like both the tonality and contrast of the film, and find it holds fine detail well, and in 35mm I like the grain,Richard
Old 28th January 2011, 04:29 PM
Friend

I spoke with Matt at Ag today and this had just come in, so I will have some to try next week if I get the chance.

Neil
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies