Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th February 2012, 12:15 AM
Friend

Default Clips for 120 film

Developing a 116 film the other day I had to use film clips for hanging that I use for my 35mm and 120 film. While my 120 films are relatively new and flat I had noticed that the clips I have don't really prevent some curl in the 120 because the clips only grab the middle of the 120 and leave quite a lot of film either side.

When I dried slightly wider and very old 116 film my clips just didn't hold enough of the top and bottome of the film and it curled inwards on itself.

I had a look at e-bay tonight and saw some stainless steel clips that look wider but no-one gives any measurements of their width.

So are there 120 film clips that are wider or are you simply supposed to attach two 35mm clips to the top and bottom to prevent curl?

In my write-up on my 116 film tray developing I mentioned using bulldog clips for see-sawing and maybe hanging to dry but proper clips would be better if there are wider 120 film clips

Thanks

Mike
Old 26th February 2012, 07:44 AM
Friend

I use wooden clothes pegs to hang both films and prints to dry,I tried film clips but found they were more designed for 35mm, and with pegs you can put 2 or three if you need them,
Richard
Old 26th February 2012, 05:18 PM
Friend

Thanks Richard. As belt and braces I also asked the question of the seller and was told earlier today that the clips for sale are approx 3.7 cms wide. This is wider than mine and checking against 120 film this leaves only a little of the film beyond the clips.

It would leave a little more of 116 film but I may never see another one of these

Anyway is there a standard width for 120 clips and would 3.7cms be that standard width or are there any slightly wider?

Thanks for any further answers from Richard and other FADUers

Mike
Old 26th February 2012, 05:25 PM
Friend

Couldn't you fabricate something with a thin sheet of stiff plastic attached to the clips (glued) or which the pins protrude through if you have the clips with sharp pins.
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:50 PM
Friend

Just as an update I eventually bought the clips I mentioned above that are for sale on e-bay.

There are stainless steel Ilford ones and for 120 do the job admirably, leaving only a small piece of the 120 film either side of the clip. These are nice and heavy and should keep even those "prone to curl" films nice and flat.

Anyone needing wider clips than the standard 35mm clips for 120 might want to consider these.

A BIN price of £4.50 for two and postage of about £2 made them a good buy in my opinion

Mike
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:13 AM
Friend

Mike, could you provide a bit more information on the clips that would allow me to find them on eBay. A search on eBay for "film clips" produces 705 results!!
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:05 PM
Friend

Not sure how you managed to get 705 results. I didn't think there were that many clips on U.K. e-bay

Anway go to Film Photography, then Darkroom and Developing then Processing Equipment and look for: PAIR OF 35MM/120 STAINLESS STEEL WEIGHTED FILM CLIPS.

The seller is called dee.630 and operates from Pudsey, Leeds.

I found his advert just now so he is still selling the clips. They are of course secondhand but mine are as good as new in terms of function and pretty well as new in appearance

I hope this gets you to him

Mike
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:32 PM
Friend

Thanks Mike - found it!
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:46 PM
Friend

You're going to start a bidding war now and the seller (dee.633 btw) is going to wonder where all the watchers are coming from LOL

You should type in '120 film clips' to cut your search number down or the ebay link at the moment is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-35MM-...item1c27b4ce4a

Terry S
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:59 PM
Friend

The seller has a BIN price but you mean that if he is inundated with buyers he could adopt the Telly Savalas line in the film Capricorn One when Elliot Gould needs to hire his plane. Telly say $100 an hour and Elliot agrees immediately so Telly says: "That's $150 an hour. You agreed to $100 too quickly so you can afford $150"

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies