Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd June 2020, 04:58 PM
Friend

Default Mamiya C33 Film Advance Issues

Hello, this is my first thread after poking around the forum for a couple weeks.
I recently bought a Mamiya C33 with a 80mm F2.8 lens for a pretty respectable price from EBay. It's in decent condition and the lenses look great, the only issue is that when you try to advance to the next frame it doesn't catch when it has been reached. This means I have to rely on a tiny window in the back to help me see if I've reached the next frame. This is painful for the style of on the go photography I do.
Has anyone else experienced this on a Mamiya TLR or even better fixed it? I couldn't find anything else online.
I'm a little gutted because I thought I would be easier to tell from the backing paper but the hole they give you really is too small to see it accurately.
Apologies for the rambling.
Thanks

Sky x
Old 2nd June 2020, 11:02 PM
Friend

HIello Sky and welcome to FADU.
I take it you know about the multiple exposure/film stop selector?

See page 8 of pdf download
https://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya...mamiya_c33.htm

Sorry if you've already been there...

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:25 AM
Friend

I had a C33 and C3, there's parts in the wind mechanism that wear out and need replacing. I had to send one of them for repair because of something similar.

Ian
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:09 PM
Friend

Thanks Marty, I was lucky to get a manual with the camera so I had a quick look over that figured out it sadly isn't that I was being stupid and missed the double exposure switch. I definitely wish that was the issue.

It looks like I'll have to send it in for repairs but with the price of bodies on eBay it's probably easier to invest in a C330 body instead and just transfer the lens and viewfinder over.

It's a shame because the camera otherwise is very usable, maybe I'll donate the body to a repair shop for it to be used as spares or something of the like.

Anyway thank you very much for everyone's help, I hope everyone is staying safe during the lockdown

Sky
Old 3rd June 2020, 06:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyGolding View Post
It looks like I'll have to send it in for repairs but with the price of bodies on eBay it's probably easier to invest in a C330 body instead and just transfer the lens and viewfinder over.
Sky
This is usually the case these days.

I sort of dropped my Rolleiflex Automat MX on a FADU meet early this year, only about a foot, I'd paid £70 for the camera the repair was £120 + VAT plus postage so close to £160. It was starting to need a CLA anyway, if it lasts another decade or two I'll be happy

One company I will now avoid for repairs is Johnsons Photopia (the official Mamiya/Tamron distributor/repaier, I had a Tamron 17mm lens repaired after it went into a canal it came back with horrific flare, then they repaired my Mamiya 645 1000S, it came cback with the same faults, they had a second attempt and the Prism finder came back with a chip in the prism and still one of the faults, it was delivered by hand both times and collected so no excuses for the damage.

It is still cheaper to find a good camera/lens than a repair. I enjoyed using my C33 and C3 but the C33 and 80mm lens weree stolen with my 35mm kit in the early 1980's and I switched to Mamiya 645's. I've returned to TLR's but Rolleiflex, Yashicamat and an MPP Microcord.

The problem with early Mamiya C3/C33/C330 cameras is they were the workhorse of many Wedding photographers so often had a lot of use but cosmetivcally look great.

Good luck finding a replacement

Ian
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyGolding View Post
....but with the price of bodies on eBay it's probably easier to invest in a C330 body instead and just transfer the lens and viewfinder over.
Sky, you will like the C330 if you get one. It's much lighter than the C33, and has some added functionality/convenience things like parallax support for the 55/65/250mm lenses, interchangeable screens, etc. More info here: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Mamiya_C330
I used a C330 for several years and really liked it. Having interchangeable lenses on a TLR is fantastic.

Hope you find a good one!
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Sky, you will like the C330 if you get one. It's much lighter than the C33, and has some added functionality/convenience things like parallax support for the 55/65/250mm lenses, interchangeable screens, etc. More info here: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Mamiya_C330
I used a C330 for several years and really liked it. Having interchangeable lenses on a TLR is fantastic.

Hope you find a good one!

Actually the C33 has those as well, it's the later C330's like the f that use plastic that are lighter.

Ian
Old 4th June 2020, 09:53 AM
Friend

Sky,

I use a C220 and a C330.

The C220 is lighter than the C330 so more suited for carrying around, they are basically the same as a C330 but mimus a few of the 330s features - auto shutter cocking with the wind-on (that's the main one).

There isn't so much to go wrong of course on a C220. They are also cheaper to buy and good ones can be found because they are less likely to have been used by pros. My C220 is mint but my C330 shows signs of being worked - it has been well looked after though and sweet to use.

So if you are on a tight budget check out the C220s.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 4th June 2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 6th June 2020, 12:41 PM
Friend

Hi,
Thanks for the advice everyone, I ordered a C330 and it arrived in the post this morning. I'm very surprised by the weight difference between the C33 and C330. The body was well worn but I'm not too bothered about that because I intend on using pretty often and in environments that aren't as forgiving. (I shoot a lot of protests with Extinction Rebellion).
I had a look at C220s but I worried that not cocking the shutter automatically would get on my nerves so I dipped into my savings and payed out for the body of a c330. I'm a student so was on a budget but i was lucky enough to work a job full time last summer so I have a decent reserve of money to waste on cameras that should be obsolete by now.
I'm looking forward to Covid coming to a close (so like 12 months now maybe haha) and getting out to properly enjoy this camera other than taking photos with my housemates.
Again thank you all for the advice, it's very kind of everyone. Once I've put a few rolls through it I'm hoping to turn my room into a temporary darkroom which should be fun and good use of the time I have at the moment.
Thanks again,

Sky
Old 6th June 2020, 03:56 PM
Friend

Sky,

The C220 is more suited for 'taking your time photography,' you will enjoy shooting with the C330.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies