Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th November 2020, 12:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKCarberry View Post
It was state of the art and I'd venture a bit younger than those linked.

We must do everything we can to avoid rewriting history as is being done here in the states. Some deeds of our predecessors are offensive yet must be seen as they are.
I completely agree with you, I am a local amateur historian, and my belief is that without our history there can be no future, our past shapes our future, and the past, good or bad, must be preserved, this period was the worst for the channel islands is modern history, which is why I am going to embark on photographing these,
Richard
Old 17th November 2020, 05:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
We must do everything we can to avoid rewriting history as is being done here in the states. Some deeds of our predecessors are offensive yet must be seen as they are.
I agree in principle, however it may depend on who's version of history we are to believe.

As photographer's, we are the recorders of out time but what do our photographs tell of truth or reality?

Even if all the exposures of every image that has ever been taken were added up together, it would still only be a tiny fraction of human existence and the existence of our planet.

Perhaps the more ubiquitous, diverse and democratic the medium of recording and recorders, the more fair the voice and representation of history?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 17th November 2020, 05:28 PM
Friend

Getting back on to photographic subjects, I had thought about photographing some of the moveable bridges in the Middlesbrough area.

There are some fabulous old bridges in the area which in their day would lift up out of the way of shipping/river barges.

Of course the most iconic is the Transporter Bridge - but it has been well covered by many others.

Martin

ps - does anyone have any Gasometers left in their area - photograph them quick before they are all finally removed.
Old 17th November 2020, 05:46 PM
Friend

Following what Richard has said about WW2 bunkers on the island where he lives and the history associated with them brings to mind a visit to the Channel port of Le Treport ( or thereabouts) I made about 1984. I was camping with my family and my then 12 year old son and we explored the dunes and scrubby cliffs on the edge of the sea. We came across one of Hitler's massive armoured gun emplacements, again built by slave labour. There was a great open jaw, the casemate where once a huge gun, longer than a bus, would have swept an arc that could have knocked anything out of the sea within 10 or 20 miles. All of the entrances had been cemented over with concrete blocks. However, there was one broken entrance and we both peered through a tiny gap, shining a torch into the darkness. There was an antechamber, an iron handrail and steps descending. On the lintel above was an instruction written in Germanic script. The image of that script has stayed with me over time. Yet I'd left my camera back at camp. We retreated and mused about the chambers that lay beneath. About 15 years later I found the casement again only this time all the entrances had been ripped asunder. The onetime gaunt walls were now riven with psychedelic graffiti. Sunlight shone through the open jaw of the casemate and I ran-off a dozen frames of Agfachrome though they were nothing to write home about. Much of the dreadful history that the fortress represented lay buried beneath veneers of cellulose spray paint..
Old 17th November 2020, 07:30 PM
Friend

I need to open up my mind about graffiti, I was raised not to vandalise other peoples property. I have never seen any graffiti that I would like on my house. Not even a Banksey. I have never been inspired to photograph graffiti, when I see it sprayed on trees and on rock faces in the Peak District it sickens me. Some graffiti is quite witty or satirical but it still annoys me. I wish the people that do graffiti would find another way to express themselves, just because a building has been vacated it does not give people the right to vandalise it. Apologies for the rant, this lockdown is getting to me! There is an old wire works at Ambergate that I am planning on visiting once lockdown is lifted, I hope to make some photographs if the trees are not obscuring it too much.
Old 18th November 2020, 10:31 AM
Friend

Out of consideration for those German members of FADU, it’s probably worth pointing out that captured German soldiers were also used as slave/forced labour during and particularly after the war and were treated just as callously in many instances.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forc...r_World_War_II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18th November 2020, 12:19 PM
Friend

Uhm..........errrrrr...........oh nevermind.
Old 18th November 2020, 01:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Uhm..........errrrrr...........oh nevermind.

Oooh....aaah, Cantona

Old 18th November 2020, 03:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Out of consideration for those German members of FADU, it’s probably worth pointing out that captured German soldiers were also used as slave/forced labour during and particularly after the war and were treated just as callously in many instances.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forc...r_World_War_II

Fair comment.
People trafficking and the exploitation of people as slave labour still exists, it would be a brave person who took on the job of getting photographic evidence to expose the scum who perpetuate such inhuman suffering.
Old 18th November 2020, 03:46 PM
Friend

I think what this shows is that no Nation, race, religion or doctrinaire can feel complacent about their behaviour past or present.

Tony
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies