Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th January 2014, 05:28 PM
Friend

Default Printing a B&W Negative on RA4 [paper

Has anyone ever tried printing a normal B&W negative on RA4 paper by using a clear piece of C41 negative between the light source and the B&W negative as the base filtration then add in the required filtration to make the print?

If so what were the resulting print like? I can visualise some cracking grain if Using TriX developed in Rodinal!!!
Old 17th January 2014, 08:11 PM
Friend

It was once a common technique, look in John Hedgecoe's books. Usually it was to get a particular colour monochrome image.

Ian
Old 17th January 2014, 09:30 PM
Friend

Thanks for that I must try it.

I cannot find a clear bit of C41 rebate at the moment to try. I have just finished a 2 hour session in the darkroom so I would have tried, if I could find a bit.
Old 17th January 2014, 09:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
If so what were the resulting print like? I can visualise some cracking grain if Using TriX developed in Rodinal!!!
John, I have only ever used RA4 paper for colour negs so haven't given the result of the above any thought before this seeing this thread but why would Tri-X in Rodinal give what I think you mean to be bigger grain on RA4 than on trad B&W paper?

I am looking to be educated here so anyone can join in for this purpose

Thanks

Mike
Old 17th January 2014, 11:15 PM
Friend

It will give bigger grain than C41 film and the effect will be errrr, different. I may be wrong but it is worth a try. Just leave me to dwell in my own world.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:56 PM
Friend

John ,if its a itch that has got to be scratched then you will have to scratch it ,,,,oh and let us know the results ...good night all .....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 26th January 2014, 09:06 PM
Friend

If you happen to have one you can use a Wratten 85, it gives the same sort of result as using a bit of masked film base and probably better optical quality.
Brian
Old 28th February 2014, 07:41 PM
New User

-Yes i have print in the past with very good tonality, once you find the filtration. First you have to try with +40, +40 filtration than usual as the b&w no have those red base. Once you find then is easy as you have to change only the time, the filtration stay the same and change if you change the paper bunch.
-One easy trick is to put a clean base of color film that you now the filtration above the negative.
Old 11th January 2015, 07:57 PM
Friend

Default Printing Mon on RA4 paper

At long last I have got around to printing a B&W negative on Colour paper. It was actually quite easy to get a pure neutral B&W print. To counter the C41 film colour mask I taped a clear strip of film to the negative carrier above the top plate.

After a few test strips with varying results I found that a negative has to have a reasonable 'punch' to be printable, more than I would like to print onto say Kentmere paper. Flat correctly exposed/developed negatives are not very good. What I did notice though was the grain seemed to be reduced compared to printing on B&W paper.

The film I used with the image was on Kentmere 400ISO film with a very faint greyish tint and the resulting prints had a cyan cast. I cleared that and the test print was quite presentable for a 1st reasonably successful effort.

I will start to upload examples of the results. what are the recommended max file sizes in Jpg.
Old 11th January 2015, 08:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
At long last I have got around to printing a B&W negative on Colour paper. It was actually quite easy to get a pure neutral B&W print. To counter the C41 film colour mask I taped a clear strip of film to the negative carrier above the top plate.

After a few test strips with varying results I found that a negative has to have a reasonable 'punch' to be printable, more than I would like to print onto say Kentmere paper. Flat correctly exposed/developed negatives are not very good. What I did notice though was the grain seemed to be reduced compared to printing on B&W paper.

The film I used with the image was on Kentmere 400ISO film with a very faint greyish tint and the resulting prints had a cyan cast. I cleared that and the test print was quite presentable for a 1st reasonably successful effort.

I will start to upload examples of the results. what are the recommended max file sizes in Jpg.

This is what the appropriate section says about file upload details:

file types: jpg,jpeg,png,gif

Maximum File Size: 200kb file size limit.

Upload Limit: 5 images per day.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies