Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st April 2010, 04:59 PM
Friend

Default Monopod (advise and assistance please)

Hi all,

Well I just enjoyed a day off work visiting a Cliveden Manor - a National Trust" property and took along me usual heavy tripod (Manfrotto 028) + 229 head about 6Kgs + another 2Kg for the camera/lens. It's very study but honestly a pain!

"Gosh - it does make you feel tired" after the first mile".

Now my question is; are monopods really any good as I tend to use ISO 100 film at 80 + sometime with a yellow filter thus reducing exposure further. Are they steady enough for our british weather.

I find it difficult to hold my F90x/F5+lens steady by hand when light isn't so good.

On the whole, I really enjoy the sharp and well tought out compositions I get from tripod use, but it's doing me in a bit on the weight when walking a couple of miles round an estate.

If monopods are any good, what's the best way to hold the pole or do you need to lean the pod again something?

What type of head should I look for. If it's too big, surely it will make the monopod top-heavy and difficult to hold.

Any users out there who would kindly share their experiences?

I appreciate I could invest in a smaller, lighter Carbon Fibre Tripod but that's not in my plans (costs £££).

Thanks for any useful tips/suggestions.

Cheers
Larry.
Old 21st April 2010, 05:21 PM
Friend

I have long used a monopod rather than a tripod for both mf and 35mm,with lens upto 300mm,and I find that I can easily hold most cameras steady up to 1/8, even a half, with no problems,that is with 35mm slr,bronica etr with 200 lens, and I also use it with the various folders both mf and 35mm that I now use. I find the best way to use it is to stand with your legs apart and the monopod forming the thjird leg,as a tripod,and I hold it with one hand on the monopod and one on the camera,and I find no need to rest it against anything,It certainly is a lot lighter and much more conveniant than my Manfrotto tripod, I have a Velbon which was both inexpensive, around $30, plus a ball and socket head that I got from Jessops for around a fiver, andit serves me well,Richard
Old 21st April 2010, 07:32 PM
Friend

Larry, you can make a monopod into a tripod with this easy trick; get about 8 or 10 feet of thickish cord (non-stretchy kind) Tie the centre of it to your monopod, just below the head. At the requisite distance, either tie some big knots, or tie a small piece of wood to each end of the two trailing ends. Stand on these ends, with legs spread, and push the monopod away from you. You now have a suprisingly stable tripod!. You need the bits of wood or big knots so the cord doesn't pull out from under your feet as you push. The length of the trailing ends is determined by the height of your monopod..
Old 21st April 2010, 10:46 PM
Friend

Larry, I use a very light-weight tripod that I have had for 15 or so years -- Ambico is the brand. It weighs less than 1kg and at first glance appears quite flimsy. However, it gives me all the stability I need for 35mm and MF and is very quick to set up and pack away. I also shoot 100 iso film a lot and have never had a problem with long exposures. The obvious advantage over a monopod is that it stands up by itself leaving both hands free for other tasks. I am quite happy with this set-up.

There's hope in these footsteps of persistence...
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:57 AM
Friend

I don't know what kind of lenses you're using, but most 35mm slr shooters tend to go for something along the lines of the manfrotto 190 or 055 models. 6kg of tripod sounds like a hell of a lot.
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:50 AM
Friend

I have a Benbo monopod with a Manfrotto quick release plate (total weight about 1KG) which I use with my Bronica RF. I find it works very well, the heavier the camera the more steady it appears to be. It is not as firm as a tripod but a lot steadier than hand held and if you can rest against something solid it is as steady as a tripod. The Benbo has only two sections with the locking Knob in the centre which is easily reached with one hand whilst holding the camera; it makes height adjustments very easier but the closed length is quit long, 34ins. 870mm.
Tony
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:52 AM
Friend

Hello and good morning,

Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Looks like I will have to take a look at some monopods+heads and lighter weight tripods. Therefore a trip to my local Jessops is forthcoming. Pity no other camera stores for about 15miles. No doubt a mail order job later.

Some background; the reason why I used such a heavy tripod was I bought it some years ago for some studio based camcorder/filming course I was involved with and at that time didn't consider a smaller tripod I could also use or my photography needs later on.

I don't really have big lenses in my 35mm kit but my F5 (1.28Kg) + 180mm f2.8 about 750g) = 2Kg setup or my ETRSi + 150mm = about the same as the Nikon. I was getting around 1/25 at F8 yesterday on a tripod in good sunshine but it was windy.

I'll try out some kit assuming my jessops has something other than computer terminals in the shop and see how I get on. I'm still open minded - perhaps a monopod may serve me well. At least I shouldn't keep getting stopped by NT staff, and asked am I photographing commercially? as I look like a pro with a big black tripod and carrying my billingham bag. Just out for a fun day with no money making agenda in mind, enjojing my hobby which also showed I'm out of condition or getting old.

Larry.

Last edited by Larry; 22nd April 2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 22nd April 2010, 03:43 PM
Friend

I think there was a politician who went to Cliveden in the 60s but would have been better off without his monopod.:

Sorry lads, couldn't resist. However if you're not old enough for this to be other than ????? then I envy you.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies