Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th November 2010, 07:53 PM
Friend

After digging a bit further into the matter, I've came across several German photo forums where one can read about complaints of various users regarding some German made fixer which would die suddenly without any warning effects like smell of ammonia and cruds floating in the solution...I'v also read reports about bronzing of RC prints after using this particular fixer.

The fixer has been since reformulater and there is one German retailer advertising the new, reformulated version of the fixer, containing no hardener (I newer knew there was hardener in there) resulting in prints with no brown stains!

Anyway, these are only assumptions dating back to the 90s, but they somehow encourage me that sticking solely to Ilford RC paper might not be the only safe route, or should I say 'it is too narrow an agenda'.

I should have add that I have been using this particular fixer for a short period that coincidence with the problems I've experienced with some of the RC papers.

Last edited by Miha; 12th November 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 21st November 2010, 04:34 PM
Friend

Only just found this thread, so apologies for the lateness.
The purple tint in the fixer is from the dye used in the manufacture of the film. Basically, it's a light-inhibiting dye because the larger, flat silver grains now used are too sensitive to light. It's water soluble, but won't wash out in just a short wash. The fixer, if kept for re-use, will return to a normal colour after a day or so. The dye doesn't affect it. The purple satin can also be seen in the negative if the washing hasn't been complete. Ilford say it won't affect printing, but I have my own thoughts on that.
Stop-wise, I use my own alkali stop for prints, and a couple of water rinses for film.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies