Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th February 2020, 10:25 PM
Friend

Default Emptying a Nova Deep Slot Tank.

https://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/images...-Datasheet.pdf

If you have a look at the instructions for the Nova Deep Slot Tank in the link above, page 4, it instructs you not to move the tank when the slots are filled. DAMAGE MAY RESULT.

After emptying the chemical slots with the taps, how are you supposed to empty the warm water tanks?
I should think there would still be a fair old weight of water in there. Possibly enough to cause distortion if you just tip the thing to pour the water bath out.

How do you empty them?

Cheers.
Old 28th February 2020, 10:35 PM
Friend

Default Emptying a Nova Deep Slot Tank.

You don’t usually have to empty the jacket very often, but when necessary, I have just got a good grip of the unit and carefully tipped it up so that the water flows from the drain holes on the end panel. I haven’t noticed any ill effects.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 28th February 2020, 10:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post

How do you empty them?

Cheers.
Nat, it depends on how you want to move the tank. If it is movement on the same surface then I find that a slight lift and shuffle an inch or so each time works fine

If it needs a complete lift and carry, then I'd place a plastic tube down the water jacket holes and syphon it out. As long as you can simply tip it over on its side and have a good hold of it then this should work as well

If you are concerned with any risks associated with this then the syphon is by far the safest method You can get the rubber ball type syphon that creates the vacuum needed to start the syphon if you don't fancy the suck one end approach which might result in a mouthful of stale water

Mike

Mike
Old 28th February 2020, 11:57 PM
Friend

Default Nova emptying

I have thought about this too and for some time now I sit my 16x12 Nova Trimate on a piece if 18mm ply about 8" x 20" and if I need to move it, after draining the chemical slots, I pick the whole thing up using the front and back ends and carry it into the kitchen and empty it there by gently tipping it sideways well supported with both hands.

the water bath cores each hold about 1,75 litres which will weigh collectively around 3.5 litres or in old money, around 7.7 pounds. The processors will take that weight easily so long as they are handled gently.

In my 1st Nova there were additional instructions when you fill the water baths and that was to add about one tablespoon of household bleach in each water-bath. Warm water which to all intents and purposes can be nearly stagnant and because it is not moved or changed regularly it can be a source of the Legionella bacteria. (It is difficult to treat in hospital and can be fatal) The bleach ensures any spores are killed off. I have to do monthly water tests at the museum where I volunteer because of this very real possibility. The ideal temperatures for the bacterial growth is between 15 and 40C

Last edited by John King; 29th February 2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 29th February 2020, 12:29 AM
Friend

Good point about the bleach, John. I haven't given this much thought in the past which I should have done. I only have the 10x8 Processor so about a dessert spoon should suffice. I think I'll add the bleach tomorrow. Better safe than sorry

Mike
Old 29th February 2020, 10:38 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
If you are concerned with any risks associated with this then the syphon is by far the safest method You can get the rubber ball type syphon that creates the vacuum needed to start the syphon if you don't fancy the suck one end approach which might result in a mouthful of stale water
Mike
Mike
See my post about Legionella bacteria. What you may be doing is putting yourself on the front line for an infection if the water is contaminated
Old 29th February 2020, 01:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
You can get the rubber ball type syphon that creates the vacuum needed to start the syphon if you don't fancy the suck one end approach which might result in a mouthful of stale water

Mike
I bought two syphons off of ebay = one for use with the Nova alone and one for other things around the house.

If you are in no hurry, you can get one for under a pound from China, inclusive of p/p, which takes about 14 days to deliver or slightly more money from a UK seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-...UAAOSw9sheFY7L

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Siph...wAAOSwKOJYGUPi

Terry S
Old 29th February 2020, 01:11 PM
Friend

While nova slots are great they're really not made very well in my humble opinion. I suppose plastic is cheaper than coated PTFE coated steel or something fancy and durable like that. Anyway I second the tip it over and let it drain reccomendation. The back side is flat so I just flip it back side down and let it drain out. try to imagine the entire thing is held together by Elmer's glue and if you handle it accordingly you shouldn't have any problems. It's important to do this when it's at room temp. NOT when the fish tank heaters are hot. I rarely have to this though maybe once every month.
Old 29th February 2020, 05:52 PM
Friend

Default NOVA Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellmakosk View Post
While nova slots are great they're really not made very well in my humble opinion. I suppose plastic is cheaper than coated PTFE coated steel or something fancy and durable like that. Anyway I second the tip it over and let it drain reccomendation. The back side is flat so I just flip it back side down and let it drain out. try to imagine the entire thing is held together by Elmer's glue and if you handle it accordingly you shouldn't have any problems. It's important to do this when it's at room temp. NOT when the fish tank heaters are hot. I rarely have to this though maybe once every month.
The plastic that they are made from is acrylic and for it's thickness is exceptionally strong. Making them from metal would almost certainly raise the question about contamination especially in the stop bath and blix slots, unless they were coated with plastic!!! They would also be quite expensive to make - more so than the present models which are quite pricey anyway.

Then there is the question of making them waterproof as well. The joints and seams would have to be welded or sealed somehow (With plastic?) and as they would flex more than the plastic versions the long term integrity would be in question. If they didn't flex they would be extremely heavy

Also mixing electricity with water is bad enough, but in a metal tank it could be lethal if a fault developed. At least with acrylic there is insulation to guard against accidents.
Old 29th February 2020, 08:27 PM
Friend

Page 2 of the instructions on my original post does recommend ….. see the link.

"It is advisable to add a spoonful of domestic bleach to the water cores to prevent so as to prevent the build up of algae."

Looks like a fancy mechanical siphon would be a bit of a necessity for emptying.

Either way, with a simple siphon tube I would have a good chance of a mouthful of algae or bleachy water.

Cheers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies