Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th October 2009, 05:41 PM
Friend

Default Tabloids Buy All Nikon Film SLRs!

OK only kidding so don't panic but it leads me into a story in this week's AP. Apparently there is such a thing as a digi shield which can be switched on to prevent the paparazzi from invading "celebrities'" privacy. The owner of Chelsea has allegedly got one for his yacht. It sends out a signal which interferes with the camera's sensor and prevent the recording of a picture.

AP then went into a lengthy spiel about the legality of using such a device without even touching on the device being utterly useless against a film camera. Given this week's issue celebrates 125 years of photography and AP's part in its history with all its landmarks, I'd have thought that AP couldn't have resisted the quip about there being no such problem with film but NO, not a word.

Maybe AP thinks that film cameras no longer exist Never mind it won't take long for the older paparazzis to work out what to do. Maybe one or two still have their F5s or Canon equivalent.

So on second thoughts about the thread's headline and assuming the device does actually work, look out for a sudden upsurge in sales of F6s and D3200. I can hear the popping of champagne corks at Gray's of Wesminster now

At least we'll have B&W pics in the tabloids again, albeit of dubious taste.

Mike
Old 5th October 2009, 06:26 PM
Friend

pity it can't scramble mobiles on buses etc, or can it?
Old 5th October 2009, 06:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrbird View Post
If you have Roman's money then there might be no limit to what it can do. I can only be sure that it can't stop Wigan scoring and winning against Chelsea

Mike
Old 6th October 2009, 03:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrbird View Post
It is surprisingly easy to block a mobile at short range (3 to 4 meters) all one needs is an oscillator at the required frequency, battery and aerial – unfortunately I think they are considered illegal in most countries.

David.
Old 6th October 2009, 06:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud View Post
It is surprisingly easy to block a mobile at short range (3 to 4 meters) all one needs is an oscillator at the required frequency, battery and aerial – unfortunately I think they are considered illegal in most countries.

David.
You are right, they are available; but illegal, at least here in merry England. I'm not so sure that it would be possible to do the same to a digital camera, but it's a nice thought. Maybe Ilford put the story out.
Old 10th October 2009, 03:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
but this can: - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4355

(No recommendations)

of course it's totally illegal to use it in the uk...

nn

Last edited by numnutz; 10th October 2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: fat fingers & crup speeling
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies