Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th November 2013, 03:34 PM
Friend

Default Ilford Pan F+ and Perceptol

I have bought some Pan F+ to use for still life and studio shots. I thought I would try Perceptol to develop it. I'm rating the film at 50ASA and using an incident meter. Does anyone have any advice about developer dilution? Is stock strength best, or will 1+1 give finer grain and sharper images? Alex.
Old 12th November 2013, 05:06 PM
Friend

I have only ever used Perceptol at either 1+1 or 1+3 and not with PanF. In theory stock should give finer grain but with a slight speed loss. 1+1 gets you nearer box speed and sharper images.

If you use 135 film and want really big prints where grain becomes noticeable then stock may be best but otherwise 1+1 should be fine especially with 120 negs.

Mike
Old 12th November 2013, 05:11 PM
Friend

Dilution increases grain but gives better sharpness, you're way to optimistic with that film speed as Perceptol needs increased exposure. Because it's a very fine grain combination dilution isn't an issue (in terms of grain) and will help tame the inherent contrast of Pan F

I'd shoot at 25 or 32 EI and process 1+2 (not in the datasheets) for 14 or 15 minutes @ 20ºC.

Ian
Old 12th November 2013, 05:43 PM
Friend

I should have made some enquiries before starting the first roll. I'm half way through it at 50 ASA, so will use another developer for this one. I can do the next one at 25, and it sounds like more dilute developer is the way forward for sharpness and contrast control. Many thanks for the prompt replies. Alex
Old 12th November 2013, 10:05 PM
Friend

Alex, you will LOVE PanF, It is an exquisite film, maybe the one on which I have taken most of my favourite photos. However, I haven't yet found a developer in which ISO 50 suits it.
Paterson Acutol, PMK pyro, Ilfosol, D76- ISO 25 (maybe 32) is better. I haven't tried Perceptol, which I thought was fine grain but lost some speed.
Incident metering is good- I use it for all my (admittedly limited) colour work. No picking Zones- the meter exposes on the basis of the strength of illumination, not reflectivity of the subject.
Lastly- still life. Are you planning to shoot by ambient light (a window?). Small apertures to get decent depth of field? If so you will quickly get into reciprocity failure. I'm sure you know this, but the Ilford web site has a table to calculate correct exposure once you start hitting 5+ second exposures. I printed and laminated it.
For example: winter window light, close up, f16, ISO 25, you'll easily get metered exposures of 15-30 seconds, These actually become anything up to 2 minutes.
I have an album of still life here, and some pano stuff, a lot of which is PanF.
Best of luck.
Old 12th November 2013, 10:53 PM
Friend

Thanks Skellum. I haven't looked at the Ilford reciprocity chart, but will do so. I have been using window light, and also low wattage desk lamps. I have no problem with 35mm and long exposures, but I'm planning to use my Bronica with 120. I don't know if you have used one of these, but one drawback is the lack of a B setting. There is a T setting on the lens, but it is a nuisance to use. It is, however, the only option, so I'm trying to get used to it. I will rate the film now at 25ASA for development in Perceptol, and hope to post results once I have achieved satisfactory exposure and development. I have viewed your still life work posted on the forum. It is very impressive, and I would be delighted if I could achieve anything like similar quality. Alex.
Old 13th November 2013, 06:55 AM
Friend

I've had some nice results with Pan F at EI 40 and HC 110 Dilution G (takes around 18 minutes).
It gets a little contrasty, but the sharpness is wonderful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PanF.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	1916  
Old 13th November 2013, 11:04 AM
Friend

Thanks Phil. I have HC110 in stock. I could try it with the film I've started at 50ASA. I like the print you included in your post. Alex
Old 13th November 2013, 11:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Thanks Phil. I have HC110 in stock. I could try it with the film I've started at 50ASA. I like the print you included in your post. Alex
Thanks Alex!
If you can hold off till later on, I'll give you exact quantities and agitation (pretty sure I have noted everything down from it).
This is another one from another roll - same combo of Pan F/HC 110 though.
If I remember rightly on this one the recip was heavily compensated for - it was getting very dark and GlenTrool can be cloudy at the best of times!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan F 2.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1917  
Old 13th November 2013, 02:09 PM
Friend

We are sad to report the serious incident concerning our FADU friend Phil who entered this innocent-looking greenhouse and was mauled by a tiger who resented the intrusion into his jungle home

The pic's tones look good by the way. A lot of people including the late Fred Picker swore by HC110

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies