Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th May 2019, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Posted mine this mornung
Richard
And received Wednesday morning - sorry it took me so long to post this!

Some nice soft Channel Island light you had there Richard - nice and delicately lit by available light. And I swear I can feel the texture of the wood on one of the prints and the old plaster on the wall on the other through the MG Art paper!

Great stuff - many thanks, Bob.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:03 PM
Friend

Thans Bob, for Ha,ptome is a wonderful place for this type of photography as it is a very hands on museum and things move around and change almost week to week
Richard
Old 20th May 2019, 07:56 PM
Friend

I sent my print today.
Frank
Old 21st May 2019, 12:24 PM
Friend

Just posted!
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 21st May 2019, 01:52 PM
Friend

Just posted mine;

and also received a very nice print from Mike Heller showing reflection of trees in a pool beside the river surrounded by moss covered stones.
Cooltone paper produced really nice tones from a scene I'd guess mostly of muted green and brown. I like the composition as it is - true, the tree creates another motif in the photo, but it's not distracting at all, in my opinion.
As for the paper types, I'd expect that differences are more pronounced in fb as compared to rc (similarly as it goes with toning). Personally, I really liked foma's warmtone paper in it's designated developer - surely, the base looked as yellowed down, but the olive-brown tones were worth it (only if the amazing ascorbic developer lasted more than a day).
Thanks for the fine print Mike.

Jakub
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:10 PM
Friend

Mine has gone out today.....
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Just posted!
Alex

And just received the following day Alex.

The print is a close up of what looks like a giant and very heavy looking wheel to turn on and off something presumably. Alex says that it is an '...exhibit at the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine' and like he says, the shadows add much to the print.

Alex has also used what I believe to be Ilford MGIV RC paper, with a satin (?) finish. I too have a box of satin RC but haven't used it in a while, but if I am correct, the paper has a lovely flat surface to it and produces a good range of tones right through to some very dense shadow areas. And just comparing the blacks to some other prints that I made on RC Pearl has really made me realise how black the tones that he managed to get are!! It's made me want to get out my box of satin and print up some negatives on it. I think it's a much under used paper, as I don't recall receiving any other prints on this paper. I just hope that I am right about the paper surface after talking it up so much! LOL

And the more I look at the print as I type this message Alex, the more I like it.

So many thanks for another addition to my collection Alex and thank you very much for your personal comment at the end of your letter.

All the best,

Terry S
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:30 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry. I’m glad you liked the print. The paper is actually the Pearl surface. I buy from a local shop which is the only outlet for supplies near me. They have quite a limited range, so I tend to take whatever they have in stock. I have used the Satin before, and liked the surface. If I’m looking for something specific, I tend to go online. I will look for the Satin next time for a comparison.
Alex

Old 22nd May 2019, 01:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Thanks Terry. I’m glad you liked the print. The paper is actually the Pearl surface.
Alex
Hmm, interesting Alex. I did compare your print against others that I have from the exchanges, and for some reason your print didn't quite have the same surface to my eyes, so presumed it to be Satin surface.

When next in the darkroom, I will print a negative on both Pearl and Satin paper and then look at your print again.

I'm always happy to be corrected when wrong!

Terry S
Old 22nd May 2019, 05:54 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
I sent my print today.
Frank
And arrived today, thanks. A print from a negative made with a pinhole camera. I have not received or seen many of these and certainly have never attempted one myself. The print is of a tree in the distance seen through a fork in the trunks of a nearer one.

I think that there are animals in the distance which surprised me as I understand the exposure for these is quite long and I wouldn't expect animals to stay in picture for sufficient time.

Thanks, Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies