Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th May 2020, 08:38 AM
Friend

Default Split toning?

Hi I have been reading another thread on toning and was going to ask this there but thought it maybe better to start a new.

When and if you split tone do you do it all at once? What I mean you take it from the brown tone and then say put it in selenium and then wash or would you wash between tones?
I have toned images but only singularly just need some ideas as to what others do.

Thanks

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 27th May 2020, 08:52 AM
Friend

Mitch,

I have found it best to wash between toners and that's what I have always done.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 27th May 2020, 09:48 AM
Friend

It is always best to wash the print after each bath, otherwise you get carry over from one to thhe other and the split won't work as well, I once, when starting to split tone, failed to wash after the sepia tone, and put the sepia print straight into the ble toner, and after 10 minutes the whole print went a sort of plumb colour, not at all what I was after, no need for a full wash, just 10 minutes or so for FB or a couple for RC should be fine,Have fun with split toning, it is a lot of fun and you never quite know how it will turn out, but always interesting
Keep safe
Richard
Old 27th May 2020, 11:25 AM
Friend

I do quite a bit of split toning. Usually sepia (thiocarbamide) and selenium. My personal workflow is:

Soak the print in plain water for 5 minutes (1 minute is enough for RC paper)

Bleach the print in very dilute toner bleach - I use 1/4 of the recommended dilution until the lightest highlights just tart to fade.

Wash the print for about 20 minutes in running water to remove all the bleach.

Place print in toner until no more change detected - usually 2-3 minutes.

Wash print for another 15-20 minutes

Place in selenium toner (I use Fotospeed 1:9) until desired result achieved.

Wash for at least half an hour.

I find this gives a nice sepia/selenium split with warm highlights and cooler mid-tones and shadows. It's important not to sepia tone to completion as there will be no silver for the selenium to work on.
Old 27th May 2020, 12:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
It's important not to sepia tone to completion as there will be no silver for the selenium to work on.
This is the information that I was after!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 27th May 2020, 01:42 PM
Friend

Rob can I take it that all the washing times except for the one minute you mention is respect of the RC soak are for FB prints?

Thanks

Mike
Old 28th May 2020, 09:00 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I do quite a bit of split toning. Usually sepia (thiocarbamide) and selenium. My personal workflow is:

Soak the print in plain water for 5 minutes (1 minute is enough for RC paper)

Bleach the print in very dilute toner bleach - I use 1/4 of the recommended dilution until the lightest highlights just tart to fade.

Wash the print for about 20 minutes in running water to remove all the bleach.

Place print in toner until no more change detected - usually 2-3 minutes.

Wash print for another 15-20 minutes

Place in selenium toner (I use Fotospeed 1:9) until desired result achieved.

Wash for at least half an hour.

I find this gives a nice sepia/selenium split with warm highlights and cooler mid-tones and shadows. It's important not to sepia tone to completion as there will be no silver for the selenium to work on.
Thank you Rob for shearing your method. also thanks to Neil and Richard.

I will wash between tones

From my understanding Mike you should always wash FB papers for longer.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 28th May 2020, 12:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Rob can I take it that all the washing times except for the one minute you mention is respect of the RC soak are for FB prints?

Thanks

Mike
Yes. I very rarely tone RC prints and I don't think I've ever split-toned them. I would expect you good get away with a 5 minute wash between stages though.
Old 28th May 2020, 03:10 PM
Friend

Thanks Rob. If I try my hand at toning it will certainly be with RC to start with. I have never used FB so I was naturally anxious to get clarification on RC wash times and not find out to my cost that much longer wash times in the case of toning applied to RC as well

Mike
Old 28th May 2020, 09:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Thanks Rob. If I try my hand at toning it will certainly be with RC to start with. I have never used FB so I was naturally anxious to get clarification on RC wash times and not find out to my cost that much longer wash times in the case of toning applied to RC as well

Mike
Toning is great fun and very rewarding - even if the results don't quite work out as intended! I'd recommend starting with standard 2-bath sepia toning. Make several identical prints and experiment with different times in the bleach. It's the bleach dilution and time that determines how toned the final print will be. The toner (2nd bath) itself is fairly constant and varying times, dilutions etc won't make much difference.
I strongly recommend trying to get a copy of Tim Rudman's 'The Photographer's Toning Guide'.

Enjoy!

Tags
after printing, split tone, toners.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies