Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th April 2020, 05:53 PM
Friend

Default Cleaning Bottles-update

The bleach way is working, but it will take a couple more days to get the bottle completely clean. It was unbelievably thick and only today has the black silver residue started to flake off on the inside with only a small 2" square patch left plus a few small places elsewhere.

I did use bleach at a 1-3 mixed up to 1 litre with water. It has been a slow progress over 3 days but worth it. Hopefully I will be still be able to use the bleach as toilet cleaner afterwards - Waste not want not!.

Now when it is all removed, I will have to find a suitable way of neutralising any chemical (bleach) left because it is one of the thick walled plastic bottles I will be using to decant part of the contents of a 5 litre Ilford multigrade developer. I have a number of 1/2L glass bottles but most have some other chemical (RA4 and C41 developers) already inside. Will a good flush with plain water be sufficient? I wonder.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:51 PM
Friend

Good to hear John. And helpful to know that 1:3 bleach works also. I'll try that next time.

I doubt there would be any bleach residual to have to neutralize. It may smell bleachy but I wouldn't think there'd be any left that would affect your chemistry. If in doubt I suppose you could always pour a bit of vinegar in to counteract it....after emptying the bleach out of course! ...and giving it a good rinse! (i.e. Never mix vinegar and bleach!!!)
Old 6th April 2020, 07:11 AM
Friend

The ratio of bleach was 1 part bleach 3 parts water perhaps I did not clarify this. This morning there is still a tiny bit still to clear, but it may well be gone by this evening.

What are your thoughts about thoroughly cleaning it out properly so that any residue doesn't affect the multigrade developer concentrate that it will be filled with?
Old 6th April 2020, 11:10 AM
Friend

I have never had to do what you have done John but as long as the bleach is flushed out a good number of times then I cannot see any problem. If you thinks that drops of what will be incredibly highly diluted bleach might remain in the container, you might try to dry it completely by hot air. This could be done by a low temperature fan assisted oven or even I imagine by placing the container outside in the sun we should get over the next few days for several days

Mike
Old 6th April 2020, 12:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
If in doubt I suppose you could always pour a bit of vinegar in to counteract it....after emptying the bleach out of course! ...and giving it a good rinse! (i.e. Never mix vinegar and bleach!!!)
Svend, this kind of statement nearly always has me running to find out why one should NOT mix certain things together.

Just checking these two, I found a link of a few more bits that should NOT be mixed either:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hom...cts-never-mix/

Terry S
Old 6th April 2020, 01:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Svend, this kind of statement nearly always has me running to find out why one should NOT mix certain things together.

Just checking these two, I found a link of a few more bits that should NOT be mixed either:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hom...cts-never-mix/

Terry S
Terry, I put that little warning in not for our members here, who surely possess sufficient intelligence NOT to mix vinegar (or any other acid) with bleach; but rather for those readers on the wider web who may not be so informed. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not just replying to the folks on FADU here in a closed forum, but that anyone out there can read this. I'd feel pretty terrible if some idiot poisoned themselves with chlorine gas from misreading my post

Good link, by the way. I will pass that on to my kids....
Old 6th April 2020, 01:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
The ratio of bleach was 1 part bleach 3 parts water perhaps I did not clarify this. This morning there is still a tiny bit still to clear, but it may well be gone by this evening.

What are your thoughts about thoroughly cleaning it out properly so that any residue doesn't affect the multigrade developer concentrate that it will be filled with?
Hi John, when I have used bleach to clean bpttles used for storing developer, either concentrate or mixed, I half fill with warm water then give it a good hard shake, empty, then doit 3 or 4 times, that seems to clear any residue, I did this recently with some ID11, I mixed 5 litres an was short one bottle, it had fixer in,silvered, not to badly, soaked in bleach solution for 2 days which cleaned it up then rinsed it with warm water and my ID11 has come to no harm
Richard
Old 6th April 2020, 02:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Hi John, when I have used bleach to clean bpttles used for storing developer, either concentrate or mixed, I half fill with warm water then give it a good hard shake, empty, then doit 3 or 4 times, that seems to clear any residue, I did this recently with some ID11, I mixed 5 litres an was short one bottle, it had fixer in,silvered, not to badly, soaked in bleach solution for 2 days which cleaned it up then rinsed it with warm water and my ID11 has come to no harm
Richard
Thanks that's what I needed to know.
Old 24th April 2020, 03:20 PM
Friend

I use water, bleach mix and my answer would have been it takes days for it to do the job completely work. It is a method that I have used for years. Only thing with it is not something you can do quickly.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 24th April 2020, 04:47 PM
Friend

Default Cleaning

Sorry I forgot to update.

The bleach did it's work and it is now completely clear. However the complete cleaning took 7 days so heavy was the silver coating.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies