Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st May 2020, 08:46 AM
Friend

I tried the second slider on my Duka50, and it does work. It’s action is not very precise, and I thought you may have to push it in, or perhaps pull it out slightly when moving it. What I did was put both to the minimum setting, put the stop to the required position and then pushed the main slider round. It was prevented them from going past the set output level. It’s a bit like the aperture on a preset lens, or some enlarging lenses. Opening the unit to look at the internal arrangement may clarify how the stop is meant to work. My unit is fixed on the ceiling, so I didn’t bother. I’ve never had any reason to alter the brightness during a session.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 1st May 2020, 12:44 PM
Friend

Default Twin sliders

To save Alex risking his neck getting the Duka down, I will try to explain it in words even I can understand.

The rear slider, the one with the ratchet has a moulded slot in the plastic which seems to be intended to catch the metal strip which is attached to the front slider and opens/closes the baffles (the one with the numbers) but mine just overrides this groove/slot and does nothing. It does not appear to be damaged in any way, just a bad fit/design.

To be quite honest I cannot see the point of it being there. The main slider is relatively stiff anyway and unless you make a deliberate act to make it move, it will stay where it is. I have mine set on '9' for colour processing and full bore for B&W.

I will try the test to see if I can get away with any more light adjustment when I use colour, I have never had to do so before but it could be useful.
Old 1st May 2020, 02:27 PM
Friend

Thanks both. I think that my stop must be a bad fit as well like John's. I tried to push it in and there was a difference in that it moved without any clicking noise but have moved it to position X to test it again it didn't matter what I did to it in terms of pushing or pulling it the front slider just sailed past the stop slider without even a hint of any stopping action

As John says the front slider is quite stiff and it is unlikely that you would accidentally move it. The only benefit I can think of and it was one I mentioned last night is that if you move the slider to 0 when using an analyser like the Colorstar or RH Designs Analyser Pro you can them move it back after taking analyser readings without needing to guess where the stop is. On top of the dome as the slider are, being able to see the setting numbers might be difficult or even impossible if the DUKA is well above your eye level

On the other hand you can successfully feel where the rear stop slider is and pretty accurately line up the front slider so to that extent the stop still does its job

Just one other thing to add and this is a piece of trivia really. My front slider settings go from 0 to 35 and not 50. I assume that 35 is wide open and all DUKA did on the 50 ( mine is a 10) was change the settings on the basis that 50 looks more logical than 35 but it is exactly the same size of opening

Alex I had never seen the DUKA instructions until your yesterdays and it was very useful so thanks again.

Is there any way you could place them in the manuals section or is there another way I can download them from your post? The instructions were giant size on my screen and I could not work out a way of reducing the pages in size and downloading

Any one else can help here if they know what I need to do.

Thanks

Mike
Old 1st May 2020, 04:18 PM
Friend

I’ll try, Mike, for the sake of all Duka’s and Divers in future. It will have to be tomorrow, though, as I’m making the Crostini for tonight’s online wine tasting....
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 8th May 2020, 07:23 PM
Friend

A big thank you to every one for information and instructions.
I have finally got my hands on a Duka50 and in a couple of weeks will set to work learning colour printing again.
Cheers all.
Old 8th May 2020, 09:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
A big thank you to every one for information and instructions.
I have finally got my hands on a Duka50 and in a couple of weeks will set to work learning colour printing again.
Cheers all.
Nat, out of curiosity, does your stop work?

Thanks

Mike
Old 9th May 2020, 10:57 AM
Friend

Hello Mike it does work fine.
I just had the lamp open to have a look at how the mechanism works.
The two sliders inside have the same part number on them, so I assume they are identical.
The control knobs on the sliders are just held in place by two springy plastic prongs going inside the casing.
It looks simple enough to swap the sliders around.
Assuming that there is an out of sight pimple that engages in the case serrations, this might cure the lack of a ratchet mechanism.
BIG WARNING .
THE PLASTIC WILL POSSIBLY BE GETTING BRITTLE NOW, SO SQUEEZING THE PRONGS IN MAY CAUSE THEM TO SNAP.
To my mind the stop mechanism is a clever minimalist piece of engineering.
I would only risk squeezing the prongs if the mechanism definitely needed attention.
Pressing on the aperture setting knob whilst setting, disengages the ratchet whilst it is re set and will possibly save on wear and tear to the old plastic.
I hope this is of some use.
Cheers.
Old 4th February 2023, 09:03 AM
Friend

Here is a scan of the settings that Kaiser recommended for various types of printing papers.

https://flic.kr/p/2of7i3F
Old 4th February 2023, 08:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collas View Post
Here is a scan of the settings that Kaiser recommended for various types of printing papers.

https://flic.kr/p/2of7i3F
Thanks Nick. My understanding of the link is that the indirect(towards ceiling) luminance can be set to 15 for all papers and this is the recommended direction

For direct illumination b&w is OK at full power for 7 mins but RA4 needs minimum light and in this case the paper requires a drum development as the safe time is only 30 secs

Assuming I have got this right then what is missing is (a) the safetime for both RA4 and b&w papers with the DUKA pointing to the ceiling. OK if you have 7 mins for b&w paper at full power they may have assumed that you do not need to know the safetime at a setting of 15 as why would you ever need more than 7 mins However for RA4 it would have been useful to know what the safetime is for the DUKA pointing to the ceiling and the illuminance setting at 15

Again I assume that even with the DUKA pointing at the ceiling no safetime is mentioned for RA4 as it is still not long enough to make tray developing safe

However these are assumptions, are not spelled out and more importantly I might be wrong

If anyone draws different findings from Nick's link then I'd be happy to see those findings

Thanks

Mike
Old 5th February 2023, 06:19 PM
Friend

I have just posted DUKA 50 instructions under "Darkroom Manuals"

Cheers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies