Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th January 2019, 04:15 PM
Friend

Default Cause of dark band on my film?

I’m assuming the image is from the full frame of a 35mm negative? If the line was on all frames, it would be in the same position, and run the full length of the roll? If so, I still think it is an issue in the film transport, possibly caused by corrosion, or damage to a roller, film guide or pressure plate. The defect would be located in the lower area of the film chamber, as the image would be upside down.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th January 2019, 04:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
If you have a vertical travel shutter then it could be some form shutter problem,maybe a slightly lazy shutter, I have seen something similer on a Pentax, a while ago now, turned out tobe a lazy shutter on a vertical trsvel shutter and the bottom of the film being slightly under exposed, I thinl, it was a few years ago, in my case a shutter service cured the problem
Richard
Thanks, but I don't think that's the issue as the camera in question is a Leica M-A.
Old 14th January 2019, 04:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I’m assuming the image is from the full frame of a 35mm negative? If the line was on all frames, it would be in the same position, and run the full length of the roll? If so, I still think it is an issue in the film transport, possibly caused by corrosion, or damage to a roller, film guide or pressure plate. The defect would be located in the lower area of the film chamber, as the image would be upside down.
Alex
Yes, it is from the full frame of a 35mm negative. I don't see the line on all frames, just a handful. I guess it could be something faulty in the film transport. The camera is a fairly new Leica M-A (about 1.5 years old) but I suppose something could have become damaged in that time.
Old 16th January 2019, 01:32 PM
Friend

It looks painfully like a pressure mark. I get this in my Horizon panoramic sometimes. The film isn't scratched, but some unevenness in a roller applies pressure to the film as it passes through the camera. It shows in areas of clear tone (typically clear skies) so can be completely masked if that part of the frame contains texture and detail.
I'm afraid the exact cause could be very hard to find, and even harder to remedy.
Old 16th January 2019, 06:22 PM
Friend

If you are confident it isn't the camera, have you found this problem with other cassettes? If not then you have to consider that the cassette was too tight on one side and causing a drag in the film.

However, I think the line is too distinctly sharp to be atributable to a cassette.
Old 16th January 2019, 08:06 PM
Friend

The fact that the camera is quite new, and from a quality manufacturer makes me think that it is unlikely to be the problem. I do think, however, that it is a problem caused by the film passing over an uneven surface at some point prior to development. A pressure related mark, as Colin said. Having looked at the original post again, I see that the films were commercially processed by a lab. Perhaps trying a different lab, or processing at home would help isolate the problem?
Alex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 16th January 2019, 10:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
The fact that the camera is quite new, and from a quality manufacturer makes me think that it is unlikely to be the problem. I do think, however, that it is a problem caused by the film passing over an uneven surface at some point prior to development. A pressure related mark, as Colin said. Having looked at the original post again, I see that the films were commercially processed by a lab. Perhaps trying a different lab, or processing at home would help isolate the problem?
Alex.
I actually switched to this lab in the last few months - I was using a different one prior and had a lot of problems with them so I decided to take my film elsewhere. Perhaps it is time to start developing at home.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:24 AM
Friend

Default The alternative

Doing it yourself is probably the best way to go. B&W developing is oh so simple. If you already print your own pictures then you are already 3/4 of the way there.

You will be able to choose the developer you use to get the effect that you want, not a universal 'soup' the processing house decides it wants to use. It will be cheaper, and you will not have to wait until they get around to doing it.

Have you approached the processors to get their take on the problem? I would not expect them to admit responsibility outright but it may get them thinking. I wonder if the machinery they use in the developing process is as clean as it should be.
Old 17th January 2019, 08:49 AM
Friend

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Have you approached the processors to get their take on the problem? I would not expect them to admit responsibility outright but it may get them thinking. I wonder if the machinery they use in the developing process is as clean as it should be.
Yes. I emailed the lab (with the scanned image attached) and the owner replied and asked me to call him tomorrow so that we can view the image together and discuss it. I'm curious to get his take on this.
Old 17th January 2019, 10:17 AM
Friend

The problem with labs developing black and white film is that yhey do not get many to develop, and sometimes the chemicals can be sitting for months, and problems can happen simply due to the lack of use, a dedicated line has to be used for standard black and white developing and sometimes maintaince can be lacking these days due to cost, if you want to get a lab to process B/W then someing like Ilfords XP films are abetter bet as they are processed though C41, better to develop your films at home, not difficult or expensive, just get a Developing tank and the film developer of your choice, if you print at home then you already have Stop and Fixer, if your darkroom is fixed then load the tank in there or get a film bag and you are away, and you get the negatives that you want
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies