Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th March 2020, 06:21 PM
Friend

Default Bulk loader recommendations

Hello all!

I am interested in dipping my toe into the world of loading my own cassettes. The main driver for this is my affection for PanF. But it's regrettable tendency for latent image fading if left too long between exposure and development makes me hesitate to buy it in 35mm. Since I would have difficulty finishing a 24 exposure roll in one outing, never mind 36 exposures, my thinking is that bulk rolling of shorter lengths is the way to go....say, 15 shots per roll.

So does anyone have a recommendation for a good bulk loader? Over here I can get new Legacy Pro / Lloyds for US$52, or an Arista for US$84. There is a used Alden for sale locally as well (condition unknown). And that's about it....pretty slim pickings.

Are any of these worth pursuing, or rather avoiding? Any other recommendations for a good one?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 12th March 2020, 07:12 PM
Friend

I use the AP model, Svend. It’s still available new. I don’t recognise the models you mention, but these things often appear under a variety of brand names. I think mine is also known by the Kaiser brand. Anyway, it works well, and is very easy to load and use.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12th March 2020, 07:36 PM
Friend

It seems to me that the key thing in terms of a new loader is that you get piece of mind that there are no light leaks due to slight cracks in the body and any "gears and cogs that are involved in the internals are OK.

A new loader is not cheap but it should last a lifetime and given the savings per roll over cassettes and the benefit of short rolls then in the long run it will pay for itself

Mike
Old 12th March 2020, 07:54 PM
Friend

The two main contenders are the Watson and the AP. The AP that I have is branded as a Konica and still has some 1990s Agfapan APX 100 in it. I did some slight modifications on it to make it suitable for use initially with the Leitz re-usable cassettes for the M series, and then the Zeiss Ikon Contax versions. Subsequently I've used a couple of Watsons and they're ready for Leitz and Contax cassettes right from the start.

Nick
Old 12th March 2020, 08:04 PM
Friend

You should be aware that using a loader to produce short rolls can be a lot less economical than loading 36 exposure lengths. There is generally more wastage if you work in daylight. It is possible to improve the situation by only using the loader in the dark. A changing bag/tent would work. The convenience of short rolls, however, may outweigh the lower yield of the bulk roll.
Alex

Old 12th March 2020, 08:40 PM
Friend

I'm dreaming about a FOOVA - but don't worry, Svend: you don't need one until you move over to old Leicas.
Old 12th March 2020, 08:43 PM
Friend

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

It turns out that the AP/Kaiser you mention is the same as the Arista Bobinquick. It looks like a solid unit, well designed.

Alex - your comment about wastage and false economy really got me thinking.... If it weren't for PanF and it's fading problem I probably wouldn't be considering this at all. But I haven't found another film like it. It is wonderful when developed in Perceptol -- great combo, esp. for nature scenes. Nothing I've tried has matched it's depth and "glow".

So that begs the following questions: am I going about this from the wrong end? Should I be looking at another film-developer combo that can match the look of PanF in Perceptol, but doesn't suffer from sitting in the camera for a month after exposure?

I've tried Delta 100 and TMX in Perceptol, but was not impressed....they look great in D76 for city/urban stuff, but not for nature (to my eye). I admit I have not tried either of these in a developer like HC110 to see if they can give similar depth, sharpness and fine grain like PanF/Perceptol combo. Nor have I tried any of the slow speed offerings by Rollei (RPX 25 perhaps?), Adox or Agfa.

Any suggestions welcome!

(PS -- I hope I don't sound too wishy-washy here, asking about other films, but I just haven't found another film in 35mm that can match the look of PanF)

Last edited by Svend; 12th March 2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12th March 2020, 08:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm dreaming about a FOOVA - but don't worry, Svend: you don't need one until you move over to old Leicas.
What's a FOOVA? Sounds like a cocktail served in the bar on planet Tatooine in Star Wars "Bartender! Two FOOVA's on the rocks for me and my dreaming friend here."
Old 12th March 2020, 11:17 PM
Friend

What you could do is buy some re-usable cassettes, the type you use with a bulk loader. Take a new 36 exp cassette of Pan F. Cut the leader off. Attach the end to the core of the re-usable cassette, and assemble it with lid on. Put the whole lot in a change bag and wind a portion of the film into the new cassette. Cut the film to separate the cassettes. Prepare a leader on the new cassette. You can make a cassette winding tool, if necessary, from a short piece of wooden dowel with a slot cut into one end. There are ways of calculating roughly how many frames you have in each cassette, or you can just guesstimate....
Alex

Old 12th March 2020, 11:34 PM
Friend

Better mention that Svend now knows what I was nattering about.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies