Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd April 2020, 10:03 PM
Friend

Default Agfa Rondinax 35

I bought one of these some time ago, just to see if it was a good alternative for processing a single 35mm film. It only requires 200ml of solution. I found it quite easy to load, and used a reduced development time appropriate to constant agitation. This is really the only option, so I reduced the recommended time by 20%. The results look ok. The only issue I encountered was the washing routine. The instructions state that you can wash in the tank, or outwith. I thought I would use the first option, and aimed a hose in via the top where chemicals are introduced. That was fine, but the ‘dry’ area, where the cassette sits, and the cutting device is located, also flooded. It wouldn’t matter, but I was using a reloadable cassette. I’m also a bit concerned that the cutter might rust. Access to dry it is possible, but time consuming. Washing will be done elsewhere in future.
I think I can say that this tank won’t replace my Patersons. I can see it perhaps being useful if I wanted to develop film whilst away from home. You need very little other equipment with it as it is daylight loading, and incorporates a thermometer and film cutter. On the other hand, a changing bag and thermometer don’t take up much room, so there may not be much advantage in the Rondinax.
Does anyone else use one, or the modern derivative?
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 5th April 2020, 02:03 AM
Friend

I use one very often. My washing technique is two loads of water for 1 minute, one of sulphite 10 g/l for 2 minutes (to get rid of fixer residue), then 5 washes with water 1 m each, and finally two washes with deionized water for 1 m, and to dry, Works for me, takes time and patience.

Each wash is 200 mL. I have a jug marked at the correct level and fill it from bottles or from the tap.

Agfa recommended washing outside - i.e. take out the reel and wash it in a bowl with running water, Also used it.

I find the Rondinax very convenient as I do not have a proper darkroom.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:21 AM
Friend

Thanks Julio! I will try your wash routine with the next film. I have Hypoclear I can use. I had wondered about taking the reel out for washing, but didn’t fancy unscrewing the spindle. I’m going to do that dry today, because it’s probably less trouble than I imagine. The cutting blade doesn’t seem to have suffered from being wet.
Alex

Old 6th April 2020, 12:32 AM
Friend

Taking fully apart the Rondinax 35 to get at the knife is not hard. There are a few screws to take out on the "dry side", that is all. The device was made to be easy to maintain.

You are supposed to take the reel out for cleaning after each roll is developed. To take out the reel, unscrew the metal pin in the center of the knob, then take the knob out. Lift out the film guide, and the reel comes out. You can do this with a normal level of liquid in the tank - no problem. But it is best to empty the tank before.
Old 6th April 2020, 11:23 AM
Friend

Thanks Julio. I think I will remove the reel in future for washing. I can sit it in a bowl with the hose running.
Alex

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies