Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th July 2010, 09:21 PM
Friend

Default Printing 6x12 on De Vere and Durst Enlargers

I decided to do some printing of some 6x12 negs tonight.

It is the first time I have attempted to print 6x12. As I do not have 6x12 masks for the De Vere 504 or the Durst 1200 Laborator, I thought I would set up the 504 with the 5x4 Anti Newton Glass bought from Odyssey last year. When I attempted to fit the glass into the carrier, I realised they were to small to fit I am extremely confused as I ordered them for a De Vere 504 and Odyssey obviously know this enlarger. Can anybody tell me if there are two different sized carriers for the 504, or have Odyssey sent me the wrong size?

I only have a top Anti Newton Glass for the Laborator and no bottom glass, so I could not use the Durst either. Does anybody know where I can get a lower normal glass for the Laborator carrier, and also where I can get 6x12 masks for it.

I'm guessing I could get Odyssey to make 6x12 masks for the 504, but does anybody know if I can get them anywhere else?

Neil
Old 28th July 2010, 10:08 PM
Friend

Hi Neil, there are two different carriers for the 504, the older version has built-in negative masking blades while the newer version is just a simple carrier without masking blades and has nylon hinges. This is the one my enlarger uses as the masking blades are built into the enlarger.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 28th July 2010, 10:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Hi Neil, there are two different carriers for the 504, the older version has built-in negative masking blades while the newer version is just a simple carrier without masking blades and has nylon hinges. This is the one my enlarger uses as the masking blades are built into the enlarger.
Thanks Trevor I can't believe they didn't check which carrier I had in this case when I ordered them. I have used numerous different 504s but they always had the same carrier. I think I have seen the other type of carrier you mention but assumed it was for a different model a 203. I will have to ring them tomorrow and see if they can exchange them as they have not been used despite the fact I bought them about a year ago.

Neil
Old 29th July 2010, 07:30 AM
Friend

I print 6cmx12cm negs in my Durst 1200, but I do have top and bottom glasses for the 5"x4" carrier I use. I only approximately mask the negative with the adjustable carrier blades and use the easel blades to define the printed area.
Old 29th July 2010, 09:00 AM
Friend

Quick update here as it may be of interest to someone.

I phoned Odyssey today and it turns out they ordered a batch of carrier glasses, Anti Newton and Plain the wrong size last year. As soon as I mentioned my problem they knew what I was talking about and said they would send the correct set to me. It turns out the ones I have do not fit anything.

Problem solved and a big A+ to Odyssey.

Neil
Old 29th July 2010, 10:53 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
Quick update here as it may be of interest to someone.

I phoned Odyssey today and it turns out they ordered a batch of carrier glasses, Anti Newton and Plain the wrong size last year. As soon as I mentioned my problem they knew what I was talking about and said they would send the correct set to me. It turns out the ones I have do not fit anything.

Problem solved and a big A+ to Odyssey.

Neil
That's a good result.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:33 AM
Friend

I bought a set on AN Glass inserts for my 504 but have never yet used them (in over 3 years)

I had better go and see if they fit

Martin
Old 16th May 2013, 02:53 PM
New User

Default Selling De Vere 504 Enlarger

I want to sell a De Vere 504 enlarger with parts. It needs restoration but its an amazing machine, I am told. Some of the parts are Ilford and other. I'm thinking of ebaying it but I am out of my depth.

I have no idea what its worth or how to describe it. Please can someone give me some advice?

Its huge.

Multigrade 600H Head
Multigrade 600C Timer
Ilford Multigrade 600S Box (connects to power but I don't actually know what its for)
Plus a Durst UT100 (I think its for changing film or something..)

Please help!
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:05 PM
Friend

Default Multigrade 600 head and controller

These parts are still in demand but not particularly valuable. Some 500 units are failing and can't be repaired so you might pick up a buyer needing to fit a replacement.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies