Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th January 2012, 03:53 PM
Friend

Default are these any good?

I've just found an old Cokin filter set that was given to my daughter ages ago. It comprises the plastic filter holder, two adapter rings (49mm & 55mm) and two filters. One is a linear polariser and the other is blue (coded 80B?). It all looks in good nick.

I have just started to shoot B&W in 35mm and use old manual focus M42 stuff mostly.

Now, the question is is it worth me getting a 52mm adapter ring so I can use this set-up on the majority of my lenses and are the currently available Cokin filters OK with this old stuff - everything seems to have A printed on it?

What other filters should i get if this gear is worth having?
Old 25th January 2012, 04:05 PM
Friend

Dave,
Cokin A filters are 67mm square, and currently available. If I were you I would get a yellow, a yellow/green and an orange. These are handy to have for black and white film.

Alan
Old 25th January 2012, 04:22 PM
Friend

Dave the linear polariser is fine fo manual focus cameras but the autofocus ones need a circular polariser

There is a good technical reason for this but someone else will have to give it.

Mike
Old 25th January 2012, 04:49 PM
Friend

Dave, I should have said that I prefer circular glass filters myself. If you have lenses of different sizes you could get these for the biggest diameter, and buy step-up rings for the smaller lenses.

Alan
Old 25th January 2012, 04:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Dave the linear polariser is fine fo manual focus cameras but the autofocus ones need a circular polariser

There is a good technical reason for this but someone else will have to give it.

Mike
Yes and you need a circular polariser for ttl metering too

The 80B is a colour conversion filter that allows daylight balanced colour film to be used in certain artificial light sources, it has little use in b&w photography generally
Old 25th January 2012, 06:41 PM
Friend

Thanks for the info guys. Alan, I like the idea of the step up/down rings and glass filters - I'll probably go that way. For what a few filters and a couple of rings cost I may as well got for the glass.
Old 25th January 2012, 08:37 PM
Friend

Dave. Cokin filter system and similar Lee system are good and not so good at the same time. I am "big" on using them and I mean I don't shoot without them. I have about 50 in A series and about 30 in P series. And there is more:
http://www.cokin.co.uk/index.htm
The selection is tremendous.
The biggest advantage is in using gradual filters, which you can slide up and down to suit you particular situation. Polariser is easy to use, as you can turn it with one finger. And is easy to combine up to three filters in one holder at once. Cokin has also own lens shade system which is not impeding filter change.
The system is giving good possibilities but otherwise is awkward to use. I am using it, but I am maybe long fused guy.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:38 PM
Friend

The Cokin system is very good, I would get a set of filters for B/W, that is yellow,green,orange and red, and with perhaps a set of adapter rings on each lens so that if you change lens all you need do is swap the holder, very easy with Cokin, I personally prefer round glass, I have a lot of different filter sizes as I tend to use classic cameras mainly from the fifties, and as the lens mounts vary from push on to screw on mainly in sizes smaller than you can easily get today I always carry that most useful of accessories Blu Tac to attach filters to lenses, apart from my much prized Rollei B1 filters, which I only use on my two rollei TLR's.
Richard
Old 25th January 2012, 10:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUral View Post
Now, the question is is it worth me getting a 52mm adapter ring so I can use this set-up on the majority of my lenses and are the currently available Cokin filters OK with this old stuff - everything seems to have A printed on it?
Somewhere, I think I have a 52mm ring - Send me a PM with your address and if I can find it, I'll pop it in the post.
Old 25th January 2012, 11:00 PM
Friend

Circular polarisers are only necessary for AF cameras and those with semi-silvered mirrors. The linear one will be fine with your M42 camera. The Cokin system is quite good - so long as the filters aren't scratched or anything they're as good as budget glass ones. There were dozens of different special effects available at one time as well as the usual colour correction and b+w versions.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies