Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th May 2020, 08:50 PM
Friend

Default Bulk film. Storage and use.

Is it OK to chill and store bulk film, thaw it and load some into cassettes, then chill the remainder again.
Then thaw, load, chill again etc. etc. time after time?
Should the whole drum be thawed and then used without putting the rest back into the fridge?
I am wondering if it damages the film.
Also,
although I have no desire to purchase a daylight cassette loader at the moment, I used to manage well enough in the dark years ago, I was pondering if any problem would occur with condensation if the loaded machine was kept in the fridge?
Cheers.
Old 24th May 2020, 09:59 PM
Friend

Nat, no idea where you'll find any hard science to answer this but I wouldn't.
Feels like there's a risk of producing condensation during the repeated freeze/ thaw cycles with a danger the emulsion will form sticky patches.
Handling sheet film I've found the tiniest hint of moisture can make the emulsion on one sheet stick to the back of another sheet touching it.
I could imagine the coils of 35mm film getting 'tacked' together.
Maybe someone will be along in a minute who has actually tried.
Old 24th May 2020, 10:01 PM
Friend

This has reminded me of a question that I am usually reminded to ask whenever I see mention of fridge storage which is: If film is kept at or about 20C and out of direct sun does it last as long in terms of "good health" as one stored at about 3-5C.

In the summer I suppose that if the bulk roll is thawed to ambient temp first then any condensation problem disappears so that's one problem resolved but this takes some time for the "thaw" to take effect so if you haven't planned ahead then suddenly deciding to load some bulk film into a cassette or two might not be exactly spontaneous

In the life of say a 100ft roll how much extra "life" do you get in the fridge in exchange for not being able to load and use immediately?

I have two bulk rolls. The first is what remains of a what was quite old and cheap bulk roll of HP5+ when I got it at a reduced price maybe 10-12 years ago. I last used a roll maybe 8 months ago and it developed OK

The second is a bulk roll of Neopan 400 of which there is probably more still in the bulk loader than of the HP5+ and it is high time I used more of it to see how it has "aged". It is only slightly younger than the HP5+

Neither have spent any time in the fridge. Have they deteriorated and is so could this be measured? Quite possibly but it might take a better film afficionado than I to detect the difference.

Mike
Old 25th May 2020, 03:12 AM
Friend

Nat, you might want to store your bulk roll in a sealed plastic ziplock bag. That way when you take it out of the fridge the condensation should be on the outside of the bag and not on the loader or roll. Just make sure the bag is in good shape with no air leaks, and let the whole thing come to room temp before you open it.
Old 25th May 2020, 07:54 AM
Friend

Can I ask why you want to freeze it? So long as film is kept in a cool place and not near a radiator or other source of heat, it will last at least until the expiry date. If it is B&W then that date will be a good deal longer.

My unused film lives in a clip top storage box on a shelf at the back of my garage and during the time I have lived here there has never been a problem. As it is integral with the house, adjoining the property next door, even at the peak of summer it never gets above 60F. I have even used colour negative film that was nearly out of date when I bought it and was a year out of date when I got down to using it.

Last edited by John King; 25th May 2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 25th May 2020, 07:57 AM
Friend

I agree with Svend. All three of my bulk loaders are in the fridge, each in a ziplock bag. I've had no condensation problems in the sense that concerns Colin; and I haven't noticed any effect on emulsion quality, speed etc.

I do allow an hour's acclimatising at room temperature before opening the bag and loading cassettes. Could be regarded as fussy; but my time's my own and Leica cassettes need a bit of extra attention.
Old 25th May 2020, 11:58 AM
Friend

Thank you all.
Some good food for thought there gents.
I may have mislead you, to be stored in the fridge salad drawer along with my other films, not the freezer.
Cheers.
Old 25th May 2020, 12:16 PM
Friend

I have used bulk film for some years, and never stored it in the fridge. The reason I don’t is that I like to be able to make a roll at short notice, as and when required. Ideally, cool storage is to be preferred, but I haven’t noticed any obvious deterioration in the films I’ve used over the years. Sometimes the rolls are in the loader for quite a long time before they are finished. I’ve used HP5, Delta 100 and Delta 400 in bulk.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies