Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Auctions of Interest

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th February 2021, 01:46 PM
Friend

Default Rocking print trays?

Never seen these before

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEATH-Dar....c101195.m1851
Old 16th February 2021, 02:41 PM
Friend

That's a new one on me,
Richard
Old 16th February 2021, 07:29 PM
Friend

when I am in my darkroom I put a bit of status quo on the record player and all my trays ROCK
Old 16th February 2021, 07:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
when I am in my darkroom I put a bit of status quo on the record player and all my trays ROCK
Good ol Jerry Lee Lewis or early Beatles rock my trays
Richard
Old 16th February 2021, 08:13 PM
Friend

Default Rocker dishes

A good idea BUT! How will you manage to get the chemicals up to temp with only a small surface in contact with a heater?
Old 16th February 2021, 11:20 PM
Administrator

I wonder if, given the name "Color Canoe", they are intended to float on a water bath? But I don't know - it's the first time I have seen them too.
Old 17th February 2021, 03:27 PM
Friend

A bit off the subject.

When I started darkroom work I was given a couple of old china developing dishes. They had a pair of notches cut out of the base lip. At the time I thought it was part of the clay moulding process.
Later when I got my first plastic set the same notch was moulded into them as well.
It turned out to be notched so that a pencil or dowel would rest across the notches. That way the dishes could be gently rocked to and fro with the pencil as the fulcrum.
I have never seen it mentioned anywhere except in an old photography book from the 1930s.

As Michael Cain might say "not a lot of people know that."

Cheers.
Old 17th February 2021, 08:14 PM
Friend

Default Floating dishes

Floating them empty on water would probably be OK. but put enough developer in them to work properly, I would say you would need to call out the lifeboat. A weird contraption no mistake.
Old 17th February 2021, 09:28 PM
Friend

I haven't see these before either but the first thing that struck me was that they might be designed to use less chemistry i.e. the developer, stop and fix does not cover all of the print but by continuous rocking you can replicate the effect of total coverage as the chemical washes over the print so frequently that in effect it is the equivalent of continuous coverage. A bit like the Jobo rotation tanks that use half the chemistry of inversion

All speculation on my part but constant rocking across the print might be the equivalent of more gentle flat tray rocking and save on chemistry?

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies