Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd August 2010, 08:39 PM
Friend

Default Ilford ID-11 & Microphen, Batch-Numbers Recall.

It looks like Ilford have had some problems with certain batches of Microphen and ID-11 in the 1 litre size.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/latest.asp
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:14 PM
Friend

Yes. It might just be a coincidence but the very problem prompting the re-call was mentioned on another site and caused Ilford Harman to respond requesting the complainant contact Harman. At that stage the Harman contact said nothing about it being a problem they had identified so I suspect that it was the complainant who alerted Harman to the issue. Checks by Harman then presumably revealed that it wasn't isolated to that one customer.

I don't suppose that Harman are too pleased that QC didn't pick up on the issue prior to the product lines being shipped to retailers.

However these things can happen and Harman is taking the right steps to correct things which is all we can ask for.

Mike
Old 4th August 2010, 03:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Yes. It might just be a coincidence but the very problem prompting the re-call was mentioned on another site and caused Ilford Harman to respond requesting the complainant contact Harman. At that stage the Harman contact said nothing about it being a problem they had identified so I suspect that it was the complainant who alerted Harman to the issue. Checks by Harman then presumably revealed that it wasn't isolated to that one customer.

I don't suppose that Harman are too pleased that QC didn't pick up on the issue prior to the product lines being shipped to retailers.

However these things can happen and Harman is taking the right steps to correct things which is all we can ask for.

Mike
I think this might be the response on another site you mentioned, although there is also another post over there about grit floating about in ID-11.
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/7...y-id-11-a.html

I know this is a popular product with many B&W photographers and I first noticed the recall on Ilford's site, not APUG.

Any way, I'm a Kodak D-76 user and no problems with it yet over the years I've been using it.
Old 5th September 2010, 11:26 AM
Friend

I bought two 1-litre packs of the affected ID11 batch (1095001).
I noticed the swelling of the 'B' bag, then, after naively adding the water, I noticed a silvery grit substance that had sunk to the bottom of my measuring jug. Also, some very small, fine, hair-like substances that floated in the mixed solution. I fished-out most of the visible latter, and carefully added the rest into a collapsible 2-litre storing bottle, taking care not to tip in the heavier grit at the bottom.
I would have left it as that, and used it anyway, as I am only a beginner and hobbyist at the developing process. However, I haven't used it. After noticing the recall notice on Ilford's website, I realised that the product was manufactured and packaged in early May 2010, the product was subject to a recall notice on 29 July 2010, and I had purchased it on 28 Aug. 2010. Which meant that, assuming the retailer had been issued a product recall notice by Harman, that they had continued to sell the contaminated, and slightly dangerous product, for 4 weeks after the recall notice was posted.
I'm hoping that after my conversion of powder into stock solution, that I will still ''qualify'' for a refund. I have the two boxes, the 2-litres of solution, and the receipt.

I only wish for replacement, but I'm wondering who the legal buck would stop with, if, say, a health and safety issue did arise, or someone had a commercial contract affected by poor development ?
Old 5th September 2010, 12:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabhar View Post
I bought two 1-litre packs of the affected ID11 batch (1095001).
I noticed the swelling of the 'B' bag, then, after naively adding the water, I noticed a silvery grit substance that had sunk to the bottom of my measuring jug. Also, some very small, fine, hair-like substances that floated in the mixed solution. I fished-out most of the visible latter, and carefully added the rest into a collapsible 2-litre storing bottle, taking care not to tip in the heavier grit at the bottom.
I would have left it as that, and used it anyway, as I am only a beginner and hobbyist at the developing process. However, I haven't used it. After noticing the recall notice on Ilford's website, I realised that the product was manufactured and packaged in early May 2010, the product was subject to a recall notice on 29 July 2010, and I had purchased it on 28 Aug. 2010. Which meant that, assuming the retailer had been issued a product recall notice by Harman, that they had continued to sell the contaminated, and slightly dangerous product, for 4 weeks after the recall notice was posted.
I'm hoping that after my conversion of powder into stock solution, that I will still ''qualify'' for a refund. I have the two boxes, the 2-litres of solution, and the receipt.

I only wish for replacement, but I'm wondering who the legal buck would stop with, if, say, a health and safety issue did arise, or someone had a commercial contract affected by poor development ?
Your contract is with the company from whom you brought the product. It is they who should arrange a refund although Ilford may do so themselves to protect their reputation.
Old 5th September 2010, 01:45 PM
Friend

I just wish that I had discovered this thread, or read the Ilford news release before purchase, and could have armed myself with the affected batch serial numbers.

I live, I learn.
Old 5th September 2010, 01:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabhar View Post
I just wish that I had discovered this thread, or read the Ilford news release before purchase, and could have armed myself with the affected batch serial numbers.

I live, I learn.
Get in touch with whoever you got it from for a refund, or talk to Ilford direct, I'm sure they will help.
Old 5th September 2010, 02:57 PM
Friend

'Merchantcitycameras.com'
I bought a 1-litre pack of ID11 from them the previous week. Developed my first 120 roll of HP5+ with no problems. Hopefully, it'll be a straight forward refund or replacement.
It's a 2-mile cycle into the centre of Glasgow tomorrow. Packing my camera gear into a pannier bag, and with my tripod strapped to the rear-rack, I'll take my newly delivered HP5+ (5-pack), and make a day of it.

I expect everything will go well.........cue the rain !!
Old 5th September 2010, 04:36 PM
Friend

Let us know the response you get. Thanks.

Mike
Old 6th September 2010, 02:08 PM
Friend

I took the two empty boxes and the receipt back to the shop this morning.
I asked the younger bloke if he was aware of the recall situation, and he said that there was a swelling in some bags but, other than a slight risk with opening the bag, that it should be fine.
But, armed with my experience of actually diluting the stuff (grit, floaters etc.), and my newly-found 'confidence' around the subject (thanks to FADU, and it's members), I easily outflanked him, and soon had two 1 litre replacement packs of Microphen in my bag. They kept the boxes, I kept the receipt.
2 minutes in the shop, done !

I'll certainly return to this shop for more chemicals (they only supply Ilford gear). I don't have any other close options where I live, and their prices are reasonable. So I save the £3.50 postal charge that most online dealers require.

p.s......I have kept the original 'dodgy' 2 litres of 'carefully filtered' stock solution, so I guess I'm 2 litres up on the deal.....

Cheers FADU !!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies