Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th February 2009, 08:34 PM
Friend

Default HP5 Reciprocity Failure

I found a link to a reciprocity failure chart for HP5 while doing a Google search (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecostolo/435191155/). This gentleman used Ilford's datasheet to build a graphic chart. It appears from this info that HP5 needs an increase of exposure of only 12 to 15% beyond a 1 second exposure. This makes sense to me because my personal history had been getting over-exposed long exposure HP5 negatives too often until I pretty much said to myself "enough, I'm only going to give a couple extra seconds". I should note that I generally under dev in both agitation and time, too. I just checked out the 4x5 HP5 negs that I shot yesterday and processed last night. They look well exposed and devved. 1 sec exposure w/ yellow filter (spot metered @ 400 asa +1 filter stop) in Pyro HD 1:2:100 at 70F for 7.5 minutes. 1st 30 45 sec / 2 smooth inversons with 2 taps per min. I only wish I took more time to focus, it was miserable weather with intermittent sprinkles and LOTS of wind, dark cloth was blowing onto the GG.. ah well, it was fun.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies