Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

  ***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2nd December 2020, 02:28 PM
adrianlambert adrianlambert is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 54
Default Minimum quantities of Perceptol stock per film

Iím testing processing hp5 tmax400 and Fomapan 200 4x5 sheets in a jobo rotary with a drum capacity of 270ml with perceptol. Do you know if 100ml stock + 200ml of water would provide sufficient developer chemistry to fully develop this quantity of film?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2nd December 2020, 04:05 PM
Lostlabours Lostlabours is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Midlands/Aegean
Posts: 1,695
Default

Same answer 1+ 1 and 150mm dev 150ml water.

Don't process Fomapan with Tmax, Fomapan needs approx 25% less development or it gets excessively contrasty. Also shot the Fomapan 200 at 100EI.

Ian
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2nd December 2020, 05:17 PM
Alan Clark Alan Clark is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 1,318
Default

I know it's not a good idea to contradict Ian Grant on the subject of photo chemistry, but I know from practical usage that you can use a lot less than 150mls of Perceptol stock to develop a film. I get results that I am always very pleased with when I develop 35mm FP4 in Perceptol diluted to 1+3. I do this in a 300ml tank, so the amount of Perceptol stock is 75mls. FP4 comes alive with this treatment.

Alan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2nd December 2020, 05:59 PM
Lostlabours Lostlabours is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Midlands/Aegean
Posts: 1,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
I know it's not a good idea to contradict Ian Grant on the subject of photo chemistry, but I know from practical usage that you can use a lot less than 150mls of Perceptol stock to develop a film. I get results that I am always very pleased with when I develop 35mm FP4 in Perceptol diluted to 1+3. I do this in a 300ml tank, so the amount of Perceptol stock is 75mls. FP4 comes alive with this treatment.

Alan
Adrian was asking about a 6 sheet spiral hence the 150ml based on manufacturers 100ml per films (4 sheets of 5x4).

The 100ml of D76/ID-11, Perceptol, Xtol, etc is on the cautious side, but it depends on what you're shooting. What if there's a film or 4 sheets of snow scenes, or high hey subjects that's not average negatives so you could suffer under development with less.

Ian
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2nd December 2020, 06:10 PM
Alan Clark Alan Clark is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 1,318
Default

Hi Ian, yes, I see what you mean. For some reason I thought he was developing four sheets...And I will add that my strong preference is to photograph in strong light -hazy sunlight at least. So I am always doing reduced development anyway. So my 75mm of stock isn't too far below your recommended 100mls. and could work in favour of keeping the film's highlight density down. I would do things differently if I was wanting N+ development.

Alan
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:33 PM
adrianlambert adrianlambert is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Same answer 1+ 1 and 150mm dev 150ml water.

Don't process Fomapan with Tmax, Fomapan needs approx 25% less development or it gets excessively contrasty. Also shot the Fomapan 200 at 100EI.

Ian

Oh! Why not tmax and foma together?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:35 PM
adrianlambert adrianlambert is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
I know it's not a good idea to contradict Ian Grant on the subject of photo chemistry, but I know from practical usage that you can use a lot less than 150mls of Perceptol stock to develop a film. I get results that I am always very pleased with when I develop 35mm FP4 in Perceptol diluted to 1+3. I do this in a 300ml tank, so the amount of Perceptol stock is 75mls. FP4 comes alive with this treatment.

Alan

Ah ok. Iíve found that Ilford state 250ml per film. 4 per pack!! But this is encouraging. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:36 PM
adrianlambert adrianlambert is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Adrian was asking about a 6 sheet spiral hence the 150ml based on manufacturers 100ml per films (4 sheets of 5x4).

The 100ml of D76/ID-11, Perceptol, Xtol, etc is on the cautious side, but it depends on what you're shooting. What if there's a film or 4 sheets of snow scenes, or high hey subjects that's not average negatives so you could suffer under development with less.

Ian

Good points. Iím mostly shooting gloomy woodland pics though so it may be ok.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:37 PM
adrianlambert adrianlambert is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Hi Ian, yes, I see what you mean. For some reason I thought he was developing four sheets...And I will add that my strong preference is to photograph in strong light -hazy sunlight at least. So I am always doing reduced development anyway. So my 75mm of stock isn't too far below your recommended 100mls. and could work in favour of keeping the film's highlight density down. I would do things differently if I was wanting N+ development.

Alan

Also a good point. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:43 PM
adrianlambert adrianlambert is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Adrian was asking about a 6 sheet spiral hence the 150ml based on manufacturers 100ml per films (4 sheets of 5x4).

The 100ml of D76/ID-11, Perceptol, Xtol, etc is on the cautious side, but it depends on what you're shooting. What if there's a film or 4 sheets of snow scenes, or high hey subjects that's not average negatives so you could suffer under development with less.

Ian

100ml per roll?

From the Ilford power film data sheet:


Looks like 250ml per film.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perceptol minimum stock sol'n for one-shot dilutions Svend Monochrome Film 63 19th July 2016 03:31 PM
Contact printing 5x4: the bare minimum DaveP Monochrome printing techniques 16 2nd November 2013 03:41 PM
Kodak Film should I stock up just in case. GoodOldNorm Photography in general 73 8th September 2012 11:49 PM
New 5x4 stock film Dave miller Monochrome Film 30 4th November 2011 07:40 AM
Silverprint Minimum No More! Martin Reed New products and offers 11 1st February 2011 02:40 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.