Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th February 2021, 11:16 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Default Rolleiflex in film 'The Dig'

I watched the film 'The Dig' last night and one of the characters in it was taking photographs with a Rolleiflex TLR. To me, it looked like a more modern one than would have been around in 1939.

I am no expert on Rolleiflexes although I have read somewhere that Capa took two of them to the D-day landings.

I googled them and went to the camera-wiki.org which showed how wrong I may have been as even the original one from 1928 looks how they have always.

Has anybody tried to identify the model used in the film and was it historically correct?

Also in the film there was a female press photographer taking pictures with a LF camera and flash. a) Were there any female press photographers at that time and b) again was the camera and flash historically correct?

Mike
Old 14th February 2021, 02:37 PM
Friend

I watched the same film last night, Mike. The Rollei featured quite a bit, but I couldn’t say which specific model it was. The original, and early Standard models are generally black when viewed from the front. The Automat 1 and 2 cameras are pre-‘39, but look more modern. They have the two dials on the front, and I don’t recall the one in the film having them. The New Standard appeared in February 1939, had the modern appearance with some silver on the front, but without the dials, so maybe that one? The prints shown on display near the end were rectangular, rather than square, but I suspect that was how people printed their Rollei images. I tend to keep mine square. It’s an interesting film.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th February 2021, 03:18 PM
Friend

The film sounds interesting, but IMDB only lists two films with the name, but neither of them sound like it.

Can either of you remember what channel and time it was on?

Terry S
Old 14th February 2021, 05:46 PM
Friend

The first Automat was introduced in 1937 as Alex indicated, it would have had a Tessar or Xenar lens.

If anyone has seen "A Summer of Rockets" they'd spot the blunder of the use of a Zorki rangefinder camera, and a shot then of an SLR focus screen and the accompanyingsound of and SLR shutter with it's mirror slap.

Ian
Old 14th February 2021, 07:02 PM
Friend

It's on Netflix.
Old 14th February 2021, 07:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collas View Post
It's on Netflix.
It's a very good film, I heard one of the producers talking about making it on R4 while driving, otherwise I may never have seen it.

The depiction of photography in films is interesting, perhaps the most interesting is in Henry & June, a slightly risque but true story based on Anais Nin's diaries. The Brassai sequences are brilliant, they match his original images almost perfectly.

Ian
Old 15th February 2021, 01:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collas View Post
It's on Netflix.
Thanks - I've just managed to find it on the tv listings online but I don't have Netflix, so I'll have to wait until it (hopefully) pops up sometime on one of the main channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
The depiction of photography in films is interesting, perhaps the most interesting is in Henry & June, a slightly risque but true story based on Anais Nin's diaries. The Brassai sequences are brilliant, they match his original images almost perfectly.

Ian
Another film I've heard of vaguely, via Bob Carlos Clarke's book.

And I've just found its availability to watch in full on line:

https://www.actvid.com/watch-movie/w...-11606.2512418

Terry S
Old 15th February 2021, 06:49 PM
Friend

LF with flash could be most likely like a Graflex, which was widely used as a press camera: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graflex, like the MPP in England.
Very famous female press/war photographer was Lee Miller. A very fascinating life. She was one of the foremost models in the late 20s, working with Steichen. Then became assistant and lover of Man Ray. Here a documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8YyjHKQxpk
Old 15th February 2021, 07:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
LF with flash could be most likely like a Graflex, which was widely used as a press camera: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graflex, like the MPP in England.
Very famous female press/war photographer was Lee Miller. A very fascinating life. She was one of the foremost models in the late 20s, working with Steichen. Then became assistant and lover of Man Ray. Here a documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8YyjHKQxpk
Pre-WWII in Europe it would be a German 9x12 camera something similar to an AVUS and flash powdeer, the one Brassai clip shows the powder being lit. I say German but a small number similar camears were made in the UK, France and other European countries.

Ian
Old 25th February 2021, 05:29 PM
Friend

Margaret Burke-White in the US was a foremost woman’s photographer in the 30-40-50’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies