Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th October 2018, 08:34 PM
Friend

Default Budget BW enlarger options

Hi Everyone

I'm currently on the look out for a secondland BW enlarger for medium format. There seems to be quite an array of old enlargers of varying costs oneBay and other secondhand shops.

I would appreciate some suggestions for a basic good quality enlarger for 120 film.

Many thanks Matt
Old 5th October 2018, 06:33 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I would look for a Durst as they are plentiful and good quality. For 120 the one to get is the M605 as long as your negatives are no bigger than 6 x 6.

Bill
Old 5th October 2018, 07:02 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I would look for a Durst as they are plentiful and good quality. For 120 the one to get is the M605 as long as your negatives are no bigger than 6 x 6.

Bill
Great thanks, is it correct that I can use a colour enlarger for printing BW? Or would I be better off sticking with a BW enlarger?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Old 5th October 2018, 07:16 AM
Friend

Yes. Colour enlargers can do B&W. I would second the Durst M605, or the M670 if you go up to 6x7 negatives. The LPL 6600, 6700 and 7700 are also good, as are the Meopta models. I would go for the more up to date designs, rather than older models. You can use older types like Gnome etc, but it’s not always easy to get spares. If you see something you fancy, ask for opinion here before parting with your cash.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 5th October 2018, 08:07 AM
Friend

If you look at auctions on ebay that are collection only you can often get a bargain as people don't want to post such large items. You can also check its working ok when you collect.
Old 5th October 2018, 09:46 AM
Friend

If you get the opportunity a Durst m805 goes all of the way up to 6x9 and if you're lucky shouldn't cost too much.
There are the older Durst (D)A series too but let us know what you come across.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 5th October 2018, 11:44 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPitts View Post
Hi Everyone

I'm currently on the look out for a secondland BW enlarger for medium format. There seems to be quite an array of old enlargers of varying costs oneBay and other secondhand shops.

I would appreciate some suggestions for a basic good quality enlarger for 120 film.

Many thanks Matt
I have a Durst M605 I can let you have for the cost of postage and packing if you are interested.

I think I would need to buy one of those plastic lidded containers to pack it into and then find a carrier that could pick it up for shipment.

I will need to check what bits and pieces I have with it.

Let me know if you are interested.

Mike
Old 5th October 2018, 11:51 AM
Friend

Looking at the original post again, I see that cost is an important factor. I agree with the suggestion above that bargains are to be had if you can collect the item from the seller. It would be helpful to know if 6x6 is the maximum size needed, or something larger. For 6x6, the Durst M601 is excellent, and can be found quite cheaply. The simple B&W setup is fine as you can use Ilford filters either above or below the lens for Multigrade papers. There is also a colour version (an interchangeable module called CLS 66) that works well. For negatives up to 6x9, the Meopta Magnifax enlargers are very good, and usually affordable. There are lots of spares around for both these models.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 5th October 2018, 02:18 PM
Friend

hi Matt if you could give the county that you live in ,sometimes some of us have gear knocking around ,maybe not this time but it always helps to know ,it has been said already but if you see something you like let us know and we can give you some advice .I am a condenser enlarger fan I could not get on with a colour enlargers for black and white ,but its horses for courses ,in the end we have to pick something we can get on with ...all the best with your search..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 5th October 2018, 03:11 PM
Friend

A very good budget enlarger that will allow you to print up to 66 is a Meopta Opemus 6, or if you want larger then the Opemus 67, not made new anymore, but plentyful used, and built like a tank, will last you a lifetime, have used a 66 for over 20 years and never had a problem, they are as cheap as chips, try looking at SDS, one of the forum sponsors I would suggest paying less for the enlarger and get the best lenses that you can, lenses make the finished print
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies