Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th March 2019, 05:36 PM
Friend

Default Linhof Super Technika 6x9

Hello,could anyone advise on this subject.I have had for several years the above camera which is fitted with a 65mm,105mm,180mm cam.The camera is fitted with a 65mm Schneider Angulon lens (marked Linhof)I usually use this camera with a Rolex 6x9 rollfilm back.I do not have any other lenses.I would like to use this camera with a 180mm telephoto lens which I have yet to buy.I understand that the cam is ground to suit each lens supplied with the camera and any other lens fitted even if Linhof are likely to result in poor focusing using the rangefinder fitted.Could anyone confirm if this is correct,and maybe suggest a way to ensure accurate focusing using a 180mm lens ? Many thanks.
Old 7th March 2019, 06:59 PM
Friend

While I don't have a Linhof the LF cameras I have with range-finders don't match their cams to individual lenses. Is the 180mm cam marked for a particular lens - Linhof supplied 4 different 180mm Telephotos for your camera as well as the 180mm Sonnar originally designed for the Berlin Olympics.

Personally I wouldn't get a 180mm Telephoto but that's because I'd get a 180mm that covers 5x4 aand probably 7x5, plus they aren't that common as they were only sold for Linhofs.

The other issue it's quick to change lenses on your camera but changing cams takes longer, it's very quick to change FL and focus on the GG screen it's something I do regularly when shooting LF hand-held.

If you definitely want a 180mm Tele Arton or Tele-Xenar (the most common) you might be lucky and get it's cam as well. I have a 360mm Tele-Xenar and it's an excellent lens.

Ian
Old 7th March 2019, 09:28 PM
Friend

Hi,Many thanks for reply.The cam is marked for 65,105,180mm lenses but it does not state which model of lens.As I said previously I prefer to use the 6x9 rollfilm back in which case you do not have access to the ground glass screen for focusing. On the rear of the plate which contains the ground glass screen it does give depth of field scale for the 3 lenses meant for this camera so maybe this would be the easiest way to accurate focusing ?
Old 7th March 2019, 09:45 PM
Friend

Hello Barry, the official places for Linhof that I know of are Linhof Studio in the UK and Laflex in the US. I don't know what if anything they could do for you or indeed how much it will cost. But if you're on a budget, I think you can pretty much forget them.

Some other options to consider;
Trade your existing camera for a more complete model.
Wait for a lens being sold with a matching cam.
A DIY job to try and match your existing cam to a new lens.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 7th March 2019, 09:51 PM
Friend

I presume the cam also has the lens serial numbers engraved on them and that your 65mm is matched?
If so, you may be able to track down the lens type via the serial number.

However, if your cams are not engraved then l guess they've never been matched.

The Linhof camera serial number might also be helpful as Linhof tends to keep lots of info on their models.

- Minor White, 1950

Last edited by MartyNL; 7th March 2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 8th March 2019, 11:23 AM
Friend

Many thanks for your replies Marty.Yes the 65mm Angulon lens serial number matches the number shown on the rangefinder cam.The cam also shows the serial numbers for the 105mm and 180mm lenses.I have contacted Linhof now to see if they can give me the specific lenses which would have been supplied with the camera.I will let you know if I get a reply.Thanks for your help.
Old 12th March 2019, 09:29 PM
Friend

Angry Linhof Super Technika 6x9

Hello,just an update about the above.I have now received a reply from Linhof Germany about my camera.They have confirmed from the serial number that it and the lenses were made in 1952.They have also confirmed that no parts/servicing is available from them.In view of the difficulty of matching up new lenses/cam profiling etc. I have decided to just use the existing matched lens which is a Schneider Angulon 65mm f6.8. I have shot 2 films in the last 2 days using the Rollex 6x9 rollfilm holder but with poor results which are :

Poor spacing between the frames,in fact some of the frames have no spacing.I understand that this could be caused by the fact that modern films and backing papers are thinner than in the past and this is a common problem with the Rollex. Also the developed film only shows the last 4 of the 8 images taken.The remainder of the film is completely blank and in fact the whole film (Ilford Delta 100) is devoid of frame numbers and manufacturers details !

Could anyone suggest what could be going wrong here.Many thanks.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:15 PM
Friend

Hi Barry, if you want to have the camera/back serviced then you could still try contacting Linhof Studio. I’ve been told that Linhof Germany often send jobs to the engineer at LS for older cameras and accessories.
By the way, I’ve had Linhof cameras serviced by both outfits and I would prefer to work with LS.

Regarding the blank frames, the film evidently hasn’t been exposed to light. I really can’t understand this, although it suggests either a faulty shutter/roll film back or incorrect loading/operation?

Some of the challenges of ‘Large Format’ is remembering to cock the shutter and removing/returning the darkslide!

I wish I had a better explanation....

- Minor White, 1950
Old 13th March 2019, 01:59 AM
Friend

Barry, did both films show the same results? First 4 frames blank; last four OK; no markings?

How about the density of the ones that did register? Did they look normal, properly exposed?

As for no edge markings, that is indeed baffling. There must be something else going on unrelated to the camera.
Old 13th March 2019, 07:11 AM
Friend

Default Linhof Technika 6x9

Many thanks for your replies.I have to confess although I have owned this camera for several years I have not really become conversant with its operation.Both films I took yesterday show four images in the same place which show good detail and exposure,and identical areas of blank film.In my Linhof book in the section on roll holders the only mention of the dark slide states “If the shutter is closed it is not necessary to insert the dark slide”. I have to be honest here and say when I shot these 2 films I did not use the dark slide at all. I did not remove the lens board or roll holder during the shooting of these films.Am I the cause of the problem ? Some of you may recall a remark made by a well known camera expert about this camera.He said this camera is a beguiling instrument capable of first class results in expert hands but also of equally outstanding disasters if the photographer has not learnt how to use the camera properly.I think this applies in my case.Your comments as always would be helpful.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies